Harman PC45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jsmith1107

Feb 13, 2019
Twin Cities
Hello everyone----my brother in law has a Harman PC45 that will not do anything--meaning nothing turns on at all. Is this usually a circuit board issue or what have people seen on this particular model before?

Thanks in advance.

The first thing I'd check is the power at the outlet.

yup. Sorry for the delay. Fuse was my best shot, unusual not to have any power..I would start at the plug ins. pull the plug on the outlet and the stove. try the on off switch a couple of more times after you have done that. Is this on a surge protector? Check that that is also working and on. Back to work hope someone else has an answer.

Hmmmm, no lights at all, not even the Power LED? If that's the case I'd use a voltmeter and start measuring where the power cord enters the stove and then to the board. It could be a broken, chewed, or burnt wire. Does the stove have a history?

Honestly this stove was purchased not that long ago by him and it didn't work when he purchased it--he paid $200 thinking he could fix it but asking me because I am fairly adept at fixing things. Lucky me.

stove.jpg
stove2.jpg
stove3.jpg
It's not a sweet price unless it can get fixed and up and running. Otherwise it is a boat anchor.

With that said--what steps would you take if you purchased it? I mean, what would you look at first on this unit to see why it has no power. 1. Check the power cord, 2. check the fuse 3. Check where the cord meets the board to see if the connection is good.

So, let's say I get it up and running for him---I assume 1. clean the dump chute where the pellets go to burn 2. check the augers and make sure they are all clean and ready to go 3. ?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: jackman
Dubious history, that makes a little more sense. The voltmeter is your friend. Check the voltage at the board to see if it gets there. If so then I'd suspect the board is fried. You should at least get the power light when it's plugged in. Here's a link to the manual: http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/PC45.pdf

Page 29 has a minimal schematic. I'd also disconnect each motor and check them independently from the stove using a test cord. That might tell you if there's more wrong with the stove that's not obvious.

Did you check the fuse using an ohm meter? A visual check is not good enough. The fuse may look good but may be open at the solder joint at the end of the barrel where it can't be seen.

Good luck. You may end up with a stove worth a thousand $ or more if you get it going.

Well as you are looking at the unit from the front, on the right side there is a fines box in back behind a cover shield. It should have a wing nut to get the cover off that needs to get cleaned out. There are some good vids on utube about this stove and cleaning.
Now as to getting it going, did you try turning the dial too test? did you flip the little red button up and down? I would try unplugging the board connection then pushing it back on. Be careful not to touch anything on the board. And just wondering are all the motors still on this unit?

Hey again guys, the unit was working and the guy who sold it to my brother in law said it just stopped and has no power now. Hard to say if he checked the outlet or anything---I think he was just looking to get rid of it because he doesn't want to try and fix it.

Pull the board out of the stove. Mark any wires for reinstalling. Check both sides of the board for burnt traces, bulging capacitors. Moisture does a lot of damage if it has sat around.

Dubious history, that makes a little more sense. The voltmeter is your friend. Check the voltage at the board to see if it gets there. If so then I'd suspect the board is fried. You should at least get the power light when it's plugged in. Here's a link to the manual: http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/PC45.pdf

Page 29 has a minimal schematic. I'd also disconnect each motor and check them independently from the stove using a test cord. That might tell you if there's more wrong with the stove that's not obvious.

Did you check the fuse using an ohm meter? A visual check is not good enough. The fuse may look good but may be open at the solder joint at the end of the barrel where it can't be seen.

Good luck. You may end up with a stove worth a thousand $ or more if you get it going.

This ^

"I'd also disconnect each motor and check them independently from the stove using a test cord."

This too ^

You can pull the back covers and check each motor independently to insure they all work. Make sure the stove is unplugged before you go pulling wires off, I would do each motor one at a time and mark the connections as you take them apart (or take a picture of each) so you can get it back together right if you're not familiar with how to read the schematic. To do this, you will need an extension cord (short cord preferred) that you can use as a test cord to plug into the wall bypassing the control board and connecting directly to each motor. I would give everything a good cleaning while you're at it, be careful of the ESP, but a clean stove is usually a happy stove.

As Jackman said, get it going and it will be well worth it (just price new Harman's today), even if you have to invest in a board.

Also you didn't respond to the any lights question (unless I overlooked it or by you saying "meaning nothing turns on at all" included lights too).