Harman pellet feeder problems ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Theodore C.

Dec 27, 2017
Vt.
Hello. I have a Harman P61-2. for a few years trying to troubleshoot this problem. i keep a thermometer on stove and monitor the temp of air flow. There are times when the same setting produce different heat outputs.Sometimes the stove will barely put out enough heat to heat house. Other times it works great. Example outside temp + 20 stove air temp wont go no higher then 275 house barely heated. Today -9 and stove air temp 375 house warmer than we need.
I have always believed there is not enough pellets in burn pot . I read where pellets should be about 1" from edge. Mine have never been close. Only time the pellets even cover the igniter is when i put it in test mode.Im using good pellets,very clean stove including ESP, seals seem good.
Anyone have any thoughts.
Thanks.

What kind of pellets you using. When i inquired at my local home hardware on the differences in pellets the told me to stay away from the more expensive pellets. The sizing was inconsistent and would jamb up. This could be part of your issue is the pellets are not braking up and filling the auger so your not getting a consistent feed?

What kind of pellets you using. When i inquired at my local home hardware on the differences in pellets the told me to stay away from the more expensive pellets. The sizing was inconsistent and would jamb up. This could be part of your issue is the pellets are not braking up and filling the auger so your not getting a consistent feed?
Thanks for your reply. I am using Fireside Pellets from Canada. There is a pellet manufacturer here in my town at $40 more a ton than the ones i am using. My testing in previous years showed they burned hotter.I will now see if what you say about size can be an issue.
I have also noticed that no mater what setting i put the feed control on (1-7) the feeder stays on for 20 seconds each minute.