Harman pellet stove wasting fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it will possibly restrict pellets when you finally get the thing functioning properly and you'll disrupt the airflow and flame pattern to the point that the electronic controls won't work properly.

I have a Harman. It's a great stove but the there is a learning curve. Don't try to redesign what doesn't need it. Let's solve your problem instead.

Good advice. No white recessed screw and nothing in the manual on Low Draft Adjustment. I'll need to borrow a camera to get pictures.

I noticed mine was throwing a ton of embers when I was burning the TSC Pine stuff over the weekend. Have never seen it do that with hardwoods.
Yes, they do throw up more ash than I am used too. Still burn them though, only pellets available here.

I burn 2-1 TSC Equine pellet to corn. Burns cleaner that way.

From what I've read corn isn't any better than pellets but never tried it.
Corn may not be better in your stove but it sure is cheaper around here at around $130 ton.

I moved to this house in November. Have only tried the pellet stove occasionally. Stove had been used here, but was disconnected during renovations. Stove man cleaned vent fan compartment and cleanout under burnpot with shopvac when he hooked it up. I have since done the same again, but did not wire brush. Burnpot holes are open and ashes show air is coming out of them.
First I used 10 bags of Energex premium hardwood pellets that were here, and now I'm using premium pellets from Wood Pellets, Co.. which says "made with hardwood by-products". Have only burned about 5 bags of these. Both fuels did the same thing, but this ash is finer whereas Energex was clumpier.
The combustion fan runs at a constant speed (which I think is fairly noisy) except it slows down in test mode or when I open the door.
My stove does not have an igniter, igniter switch, or igniter light. Just 5 lights, feed adjuster, mode selector, and temp dial.

It only blows embers out when it has been in low-burn for a long while and the ashes have built up a wall close to the back of the burnpot, My guess is it just needs to ramp up sometimes to push the ashes away. I'll experiment with using Room Temp and setting the heatpumps differently when using the pellet stove so that it gets calls for heat and cycles up and down. Thank you all for your help.

Work it a bit harder and it will probably be happier:)

It only blows embers out when it has been in low-burn for a long while and the ashes have built up a wall close to the back of the burnpot, My guess is it just needs to ramp up sometimes to push the ashes away. I'll experiment with using Room Temp and setting the heatpumps differently when using the pellet stove so that it gets calls for heat and cycles up and down. Thank you all for your help.
For room temp initially try feed of 4, temp at 70 or so (Above that of the heat pumps) fan on high. Also I drag the ashes out of the pot a couple times a day. Mine builds up too but never has tossed pellets. As well, location of the room temp probe is critical to good Room Temp operation. Play around with it

Corn may not be better in your stove but it sure is cheaper around here at around $130 ton.
When it comes to what I burn price takes somewhat of a backseat to convenience. I have a reliable supply of good pellets. Don't have to worry about supply, moisture, mixing etc. Open bag. Dump in stove. Enjoy. Well worth the extra hundred bucks a ton.

When it comes to what I burn price takes somewhat of a backseat to convenience. I have a reliable supply of good pellets. Don't have to worry about supply, moisture, mixing etc. Open bag. Dump in stove. Enjoy. Well worth the extra hundred bucks a ton.
Used over 10 bushels the neighbor dropped on the property line for free and the grain elevator is just over 2 miles away. Dropped in about 150 bushels in the gravity box after the 4th and got 2 tons of pine blend pellets and 2 more tons of cheap stuff for blending in July. Had all our heating needs done by the second week of July. Have three stoves that eat corn. Now if this is one of the coldest February's on record will eat into next seasons supply but hope the FL job pans out for half the winter anyway. We have a lot more heating degree days here in MN than in PA.

Used over 10 bushels the neighbor dropped on the property line for free and the grain elevator is just over 2 miles away. Dropped in about 150 bushels in the gravity box after the 4th and got 2 tons of pine blend pellets and 2 more tons of cheap stuff for blending in July. Had all our heating needs done by the second week of July. Have three stoves that eat corn. Now if this is one of the coldest February's on record will eat into next seasons supply but hope the FL job pans out for half the winter anyway. We have a lot more heating degree days here in MN than in PA.
Yep you do but heading for record cold Feb here as well. Headed South soon ourselves. Wanna rub some oil on the wife and see the new bikinis she bought. Hate February!

That adjustment on his stove may require that something be removed to access that adjustment potentiometer on the control board. Changes all the time with those critters.

I'm curious why we can't find any documentation. P61A-2?

I'm curious why we can't find any documentation. P61A-2?
It's a manual start stove so no A. Have a feeling that stove is very old

Need the numbers off of the control board.

The control panel facing on the P61-2 has no hole for access to the draft fan pot if the control board has one.

If the platinum board is a replacement for that stove then it would introduce the controls of the low draft trim.

Need the numbers off of the control board.

The control panel facing on the P61-2 has no hole for access to the draft fan pot if the control board has one.

If the platinum board is a replacement for that stove then it would introduce the controls of the low draft trim.
Thanks for your interest in helping me adjust my stove. It has been performing well since I have been working it harder--setting it above heatpump thermostat and using it in Room Temp mode. It pushes the ash away periodically and doesn't throw embers.
I don't see any identification numbers on the control board. Is it worth trying to find a draft adjustment if I don't have any obvious problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.