Harman PF100 OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejectr

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2009
Brimfield, MA
Do any of the PF100 owners who have OAK's know how much it increases the furnace efficiency?

generally speaking about 1%-2%

It is what it prevents namely poor burns and sucking air you already have heated up the flue and having colder air from outside coming through the shell your house and across your room's floors replacing it.

Interesting read for those that have questions concerning outside air. I don't have outside air connected to my PB, IMHO it's a good thing if the boiler is drawing in outside air from wherever, fresh air isn't a bad thing.

http://contractingbusiness.com/enewsletters/cb_imp_21488

Do any of the PF100 owners who have OAK's know how much it increases the furnace efficiency?
Ejectr I just installed it on mine this year. I'm not sure about how much the efficiency has increased but my basement is about 3 or so degrees warmer and my flame is almost entirely blue in color. Not that I had a bad burn before it was always a very active white with some blue and some orange. Now it is mostly blue with some white and very little orange. If I am not mistaken what I am seeing in my burn pot is an more efficent burn. I am not really sure if I am burning much less pellets as it has been a little colder than norm. Time will tell I guess.

My Buderus boiler in my basement was once used to heat the house - and a zone was for DHW ... I found out that when the pellet furnace was running and the Buderus was running, it pulled some flue gas from the buderus out of the flue damper (tightly sealed basement) ..... it smelled horrible - wife complained....I fixed the issue. We have CO2 detectors all around both units as well - hate for those to ever go off. House is no longer under negative pressure constantly, now only when a bathroom or stove/range exhaust fan turns on.
As you saw in my last thread - Basement is warmer, its not using conditioned air for combustion.
Good luck with the install if you do so.

OAK does not increase the efficiiency of the stove, it increases the "efficiency" of the house, by reducing the heat losses of your home.

OAK does not increase the efficiiency of the stove, it increases the "efficiency" of the house, by reducing the heat losses of your home.

It also increases the stoves burn efficiency because a lot of those so called non tight houses can not provide the amount of air the stove needs to burn properly among other things such as deficiencies due to the composition of indoor air.

Reactions: Delta-T
you can also get multiple appliances competeing for air...clothes dryer, bathroom vent, ect. Irregarless of whether we want to say the unit or the system as a whole, it is almost always more betterer to have fresh air.

Status
Not open for further replies.