Harman shutdown process

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
I'm noticing that on my P43, once the room temp is hit, the stove does it shutdown thing. But, because that process is so long, that by the time it completely shuts down, the room is now cold enough to get the stove going. So the stove is off for about 10 seconds before it fires up again. Is this normal? If I move the igniter switch from "Auto" to "Manual," will this take care of the problem?

That would stop it from stopping at all...will go to idle run ...then when therm needs up it start pushing pellets again

That is how I run my P35i when it gets cold out. It may use a couple more pellets but saves on the igniter wear and power consumption.

Have the same issue here at this time of the year. That by the time the fire is out it thinks it needs heat again. Just run with the igniter in manual and if temps warrant a shut down we will. We have had only 2 days in two weeks at normal outside temps. Same at seeing the sun.

It's working well. Keeps the room temp pretty much at constant. What's the penalty for shutting off the stove and not switching the igniter from "manual" back to auto on restart? A full ash pan of pellets?

It's working well. Keeps the room temp pretty much at constant. What's the penalty for shutting off the stove and not switching the igniter from "manual" back to auto on restart? A full ash pan of pellets?
Nothing will happen except the combustion fan turning on.

I'm noticing that on my P43, once the room temp is hit, the stove does it shutdown thing. But, because that process is so long, that by the time it completely shuts down, the room is now cold enough to get the stove going. So the stove is off for about 10 seconds before it fires up again. Is this normal? If I move the igniter switch from "Auto" to "Manual," will this take care of the problem?

Yes. When it's cold enough no sense cycling the stove on auto, IMO...

I'm noticing in manual when just enough pellets are cycling through to keep the fire going that the distribution blower is not engaged. Should it be? Am I losing heat up the stack when it should be pushed into the room?

May lose some heat out the venting but the p series is a hot bodied unit radiating a lot of heat. I can put my hand on the top when in idle after awhile.

I agree, it is hot. In fact, in manual mode on these relatively chilly nights the room temp slowly rises. We have a unique situation in that our kitchen, dining room and living room are all open, with a door leading to what is the kids' play area but really should be a formal dining room. In the that room, we have the wood insert that heats the rest of the house, including two floors upstairs. When the insert is going, I keep the door to the play room closed so the maximum amount of heat travels upstairs. In doing so, the area that the pellet stove heats essentially becomes smaller (now that it's not responsible for the play room.) I hate cycling the pellet stove on an off, so I'm playing with the manual mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.