Harman thermostat issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jowens

Feb 14, 2017
central NY
We have a Harman P38 which is on our main floor and heats the whole 2400 square foot house. We don't heat for room temp since it heats the whole house. Never had a problem with it until yesterday. It's been in the 20s and I can't get the house temp up no matter how high I crank it up. It acts like it's on the lowest temp setting. Not sure what to do. I've searched for help but can't seem to find any info. Is this something I can tackle or do I find someone to service it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Is the stove on a thermostat ?
If it is take the stove off stat and try a different mode
Maybe the stat is defective

It's not on a thermostat, I'm sorry I used the wrong term. Should I place in room temp mode and see if I can get the temp to go up at all?
I did a thorough cleaning about 2 weeks ago when we finished a ton.

It's not clear what mode you're running, Stove temp or Room temp. If you've been running in Room temp it could be the temperature probe in which case switch to Stove temp. Also, try rotating the two dials back and forth quickly a few times in an attempt to clear a dead spot on the dials.

Would you assume if it behaves the same way that I would need to replace the ESP?

That's a likely culprit. You should also do a self test and try an unplug/reset.

When was the last time the ESP was cleaned, could be as simple as that.

Reactions: jowens
The reset worked for less than 24 hours. We cleaned the ESP last night, thank you fmsm. It's still working this morning. Hopefully that was it, if not I guess I buy a new ESP. Thanks again all.

Reactions: fmsm