Harman thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
I just ordered a Lux 500 thermostat for my Accentra. My question is are people running it in room temp auto or manual with the thermostat and how many degrees swing temp are you using?

On my p43 when I run auto I use a 2degree swing. When it's colder and I'm in manual I run a 1 degree swing. That way when in auto it doesn't relight so often

Sounds good, I was figuring on a 2 degree swing. I guess I will try 2 degrees in both auto and manual and see how it goes, I can always change it when it gets cold if it is too much of a swing.

Works like a normal thermostat off of room temperature, but you can adjust the swing temp and setback temps daily with 4 different time periods. awake, work, home and sleep

Tsmith, can you tell me if you just installed basic wiring to the themostat off the Accentra back connection or something else? About how far away did you place the thermostat? Thx in advance.

Tsmith, can you tell me if you just installed basic wiring to the themostat off the Accentra back connection or something else? About how far away did you place the thermostat? Thx in advance.
You have to install the thermostat inline with the room temp probe. I used regular thermostat wire to extend it about 15 feet away from the stove and 5 ft. above the floor.I cut the room probe and spliced the thermo wire to it and then into the thermostat. I set everything on the thermostat the way I wanted it and then put the stove on room temp mode auto and turned it to about the 80 degree mark, that way the stove is seeing the probe is calling for heat, but because the thermostat is set lower it comes on with the thermostat settings. this allows better control of the stove operation. Harmans new stove the Absolute has been made with a built in thermostat for this reason.

Reactions: jackman
Hello
If you use the new lowes Iris WiFi T-stat then you can use your smart phone to turn your Accentra on before you get home from work. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
You have to install the thermostat inline with the room temp probe. I used regular thermostat wire to extend it about 15 feet away from the stove and 5 ft. above the floor.I cut the room probe and spliced the thermo wire to it and then into the thermostat. I set everything on the thermostat the way I wanted it and then put the stove on room temp mode auto and turned it to about the 80 degree mark, that way the stove is seeing the probe is calling for heat, but because the thermostat is set lower it comes on with the thermostat settings. this allows better control of the stove operation. Harmans new stove the Absolute has been made with a built in thermostat for this reason.
Thanks for the reply. So I just want to make sure I understand, you cut the probe wire in half? Is there any differnce in just running new thermostat wiring to the stove connection on back and then to a new thermostat? I am being cautious about destroying the original Harman cable if this setup doesn't work.

Thanks for the reply. So I just want to make sure I understand, you cut the probe wire in half? Is there any differnce in just running new thermostat wiring to the stove connection on back and then to a new thermostat? I am being cautious about destroying the original Harman cable if this setup doesn't work.
You must keep the probe end hooked up to the stove, You can run new thermostat wire from the thermostat to the stove but you will need to splice in the probe end after the thermostat. If the stove does not sense the probe is attached, it will not run. If you dont like this set up, you can always re-splice the Harman wire back together the way it was.

Hello all—

I’ve read through many of the “wiring” and “two-wire conversion” topics, and don’t quite see my particular issue (I know, I’m “that guy”).

I’m installing an Insteon 2441TH to my Harman Advance pellet stove. I’ve read and understand the awesome instructions about breaking the Harman probe connection to wire in the thermostat.

One little addition is I’m powering the Insteon with a 24v transformer plugged into the wall.

SO... The Insteon is successfully powered when I hook up the transformer to the 24Com and 24R connections. The pellet stove wires are supposed to be connected to the R (24R??) and W connections (so I have two wires going into the 24R???).

This combo almost works: stove starts with the appropriate error mode, 4-blink status. When heat is called for from the Insteon, the error mode goes away and the stove fires up. Great, BUT— the stove won’t go back into error mode when I tell the Insteon “no heat.”

So I can turn the stove ON remotely, but can’t turn it back off again. That’s sort of ok for my application, since I’m really just using it to pre-heat a vacation house during the drive up there, but it makes me think my connections are incorrect. So far, the only way I can get the stove to go back into error mode is to depower the Insteon stat and start fresh. Definitely not something I feel I ought to do on a regular basis.

Things I’ve considered: cycle time for furnaces— the Insteon default is four minutes (I waited at least 20 minutes for the Insteon/stove to finally send the “kill” signal, but it never arrived).

I’ve attempted to attach a pic of the Insteon manual’s connection diagram if that helps.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• D71BE392-3522-4929-BB1F-9E32AFEF386D.jpeg
    D71BE392-3522-4929-BB1F-9E32AFEF386D.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 491
Hello all—

I’ve read through many of the “wiring” and “two-wire conversion” topics, and don’t quite see my particular issue (I know, I’m “that guy”).

I’m installing an Insteon 2441TH to my Harman Advance pellet stove. I’ve read and understand the awesome instructions about breaking the Harman probe connection to wire in the thermostat.

One little addition is I’m powering the Insteon with a 24v transformer plugged into the wall.

SO... The Insteon is successfully powered when I hook up the transformer to the 24Com and 24R connections. The pellet stove wires are supposed to be connected to the R (24R??) and W connections (so I have two wires going into the 24R???).

This combo almost works: stove starts with the appropriate error mode, 4-blink status. When heat is called for from the Insteon, the error mode goes away and the stove fires up. Great, BUT— the stove won’t go back into error mode when I tell the Insteon “no heat.”

So I can turn the stove ON remotely, but can’t turn it back off again. That’s sort of ok for my application, since I’m really just using it to pre-heat a vacation house during the drive up there, but it makes me think my connections are incorrect. So far, the only way I can get the stove to go back into error mode is to depower the Insteon stat and start fresh. Definitely not something I feel I ought to do on a regular basis.

Things I’ve considered: cycle time for furnaces— the Insteon default is four minutes (I waited at least 20 minutes for the Insteon/stove to finally send the “kill” signal, but it never arrived).

I’ve attempted to attach a pic of the Insteon manual’s connection diagram if that helps.

Thanks all.
Well,I am surprised you have not burned up your stoves control board,yet maybe you have.Page 11 in the instructions,that unit is not rated for millivolt usage. -----
"4)
Your existing thermostat is
not
millivolt controlled"
Page
of
Rev:
10/13/2015 9:13 AM
Install
ation
CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS
Read and understand these instructions before installing and retain them for future reference.
IMPORTANT
:
HOW DO I KNOW THIS WILL WORK WITH MY SYSTEM?
1)
Your existing HVAC
can
operate 2 stages
of Heat
and
Cool
2)
Your existing thermostat operates on 24V
3)
Your system is
not
a 120/240V electric radiant heater
4)
not
millivolt controlled
5)
Your existing thermostat has 5 or more wi
res connected
Insteon
Thermostat
is designed to operate on a minimum
-
wire, 24V HVAC unit.
If you have only 4 wires
you can purchase the “
A
dd
-
A
-
W
ire
” adapter item #304AAW from
www.s
Page
of
Rev:
10/13/2015 9:13 AM
Install
ation
CAUTIONS AND WARNINGS
Read and understand these instructions before installing and retain them for future reference.
IMPORTANT
:
HOW DO I KNOW THIS WILL WORK WITH MY SYSTEM?
1)
Your existing HVAC
can
operate 2 stages
of Heat
and
Cool
2)
Your existing thermostat operates on 24V
3)
Your system is
not
a 120/240V electric radiant heater
4)
not
millivolt controlled
5)
Your existing thermostat has 5 or more wi
res connected
Insteon
Thermostat
is designed to operate on a minimum
-
wire, 24V HVAC unit.
If you have only 4 wires
you can purchase the “
A
dd
-
A
-
W
ire
” adapter item #304AAW from
www.s

Reactions: Ssyko
It’s easier to do than it sounds. Run your tstat wire to the back of the stove And connect 1 of the wires to the stove terminals. Connect 1 if the probe wires to the others terminal. That’s gonna leave you with a tstat wire and a probe wire that you connect together

Attachments

• F00C792D-8A67-49E0-8E56-80E5F7DD43A5.jpeg
    F00C792D-8A67-49E0-8E56-80E5F7DD43A5.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 647
  • DA1523B9-0725-4595-ADD4-11DAD8050946.jpeg
    DA1523B9-0725-4595-ADD4-11DAD8050946.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,411
It’s easier to do than it sounds. Run your tstat wire to the back of the stove And connect 1 of the wires to the stove terminals. Connect 1 if the probe wires to the others terminal. That’s gonna leave you with a tstat wire and a probe wire that you connect together
His thermostat(part of a whole house internet communications system) is 24 volts,and only activates 24 volt heaters.He probably has been pushing 24 volts into the stove control board.

Thanks for the expertise. Bob, yeah, hopefully I didn’t burn anything out as you said. The board and stove still appear to work fine (I disconnected everything when I wasn’t satisfied with the result). Sound like this Tstat isn’t going to do it, and I’ll have to shop for a different one for this application.

I have a Honeywell at my primary residence, maybe I’ll just swap them out.

Does the lux 500 work differently?
Does it work as a sensor out it just turns on an off based on the temp?
My bad. I was replying to this but shoulyhave hit the reply button. I have the lux 500 running my xxv

What kind of safety featurs do these remote thermostats have? If your say 15 miles away and you turn the thermostat on to have it warm up the place before you get there and the stove has a missfire or overfire and it fills the house with smoke or burns the place down. I know the stoves have safety features but what if they fail(we all know they do at times). Im not knocking them im just posing a what if. Line of sight is as far as i would go myself

Sysko that sounds correct except the safety features should all fail to a no start or shut down. I know the 2 stoves that I have experience with do. If you think about it all furnaces and boilers have somewhat the same safety features built into them as well and everybody lets them start and run while they're away. My Harman runs 7 - 24s (with an external thermostat controlling it) on room temp auto or manual whether I'm home or not.
Ron

Yeah mine does to. And im at work 12 hr’s a day, sometimes my mind defaults to neanderthal.