Harman Warranty Sucks - UPDATE - Now I am MAD!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a full moon? I have that creapy feeling. Just an idea...... go to the good guy dealer who did the repair referral, right? Say the stove is the only heating source you have, can he do anything to help, ...like a loaner...... Once installed, you can take your time and settle the matters with the "service" guy. Tell the dealer to take it up with the tech he referred you to.

Now I feel ashamed. :red: :sick: :red: Bad smokey, bad bad burner.

Well the service place said I can come pick up the stove and they would nock off $240 the delvery fee. Get this they said I would need to put the stove back together :exclaim: They said for weight reasons they were going to assemble it when they delvered it, the dealer owner is going to be contacting the service company Monday. So they said it was going to cost $240 for for the delvery because they would have to assemble it back together so what was the $240 charge for to pick it up and the 5.5 hours to repair the stove? I would think that if you were to repair somthing that putting it back together should be part of the repair.

swalz said:
...... I would think that if you were to repair somthing that putting it back together should be part of the repair.

I haven't followed the thread completely, but if you gave them the stove still assembled, then you absolutely should get it back the same way. If you DID have it partially disassembled, then I could see them giving it back to you the same way.

If you gave it to them assembled, and their trying to give it back for you to finish, that's just bullshirt.

macman said:
swalz said:
...... I would think that if you were to repair somthing that putting it back together should be part of the repair.

I haven't followed the thread completely, but if you gave them the stove still assembled, then you absolutely should get it back the same way. If you DID have it partially disassembled, then I could see them giving it back to you the same way.

If you gave it to them assembled, and their trying to give it back for you to finish, that's just bullshirt.

Only thing that was off the stove was the tailpipe could not disconnect from pipe. Put in a complaint with the BBB and have a complaint # for Consumer Protection Agency and will be sending in the paper work when I get done filling it out. Then I am going to look for every review site that I can give these guys a negative review.

swalz said:
macman said:
swalz said:

Only thing that was off the stove was the tailpipe could not disconnect from pipe. Put in a complaint with the BBB and have a complaint # for Consumer Protection Agency and will be sending in the paper work when I get done filling it out. Then I am going to look for every review site that I can give these guys a negative review.

I am willing to allow that there are two sides to every story, but as a dealer, I am AMAZED at this. The XXV isnt the easiest unit to put back together, let alone make sure its sealed, etc....and to charge what they want to charge AND give you the BS excuse that dissassembed its lighter is an insult to your intelligence! My 2cents here would have been to get with the regional marketing guy for Harman in your area and let him solve the problem. Ok, so the original dealer no longer sells harman....ok, fine, then let the marketing guy find another dealer who would do the work! That dealer could lobby Harman for more money, given the travelling time, and the dealer would have TRAINED personnel, rather than some crook who is obviously taking advantage of this situation.

Also, recall reading here somewhere about paying the bill and then "pulling back" the charges? Be careful of this, as it can be constituted as fraud, which might be more serious than the overcharging that the service shop is doing (noone can tell then what to charge, high prices are their perogative- not illegal, just not good business sense)

As I stated earlier, theres alot of 'woulda, coulda, shoulda" in this travesty......Im sure the OP would have done different had he had a chance of a do-over, such as getting quotes, maybe dealing with the marketing guy, etc. I also cannot blame Harman here very much, in that the folks doing the work are a private concern, not connected with Harman.

Also, dont forget to replace the tailpipe gasket when re-installing!

Lousyweather said:
swalz said:
macman said:
swalz said:

I am willing to allow that there are two sides to every story, but as a dealer, I am AMAZED at this. The XXV isnt the easiest unit to put back together, let alone make sure its sealed, etc....and to charge what they want to charge AND give you the BS excuse that dissassembed its lighter is an insult to your intelligence! My 2cents here would have been to get with the regional marketing guy for Harman in your area and let him solve the problem. Ok, so the original dealer no longer sells harman....ok, fine, then let the marketing guy find another dealer who would do the work! That dealer could lobby Harman for more money, given the travelling time, and the dealer would have TRAINED personnel, rather than some crook who is obviously taking advantage of this situation.

Also, recall reading here somewhere about paying the bill and then "pulling back" the charges? Be careful of this, as it can be constituted as fraud, which might be more serious than the overcharging that the service shop is doing (noone can tell then what to charge, high prices are their perogative- not illegal, just not good business sense)

As I stated earlier, theres alot of 'woulda, coulda, shoulda" in this travesty......Im sure the OP would have done different had he had a chance of a do-over, such as getting quotes, maybe dealing with the marketing guy, etc. I also cannot blame Harman here very much, in that the folks doing the work are a private concern, not connected with Harman.

Also, dont forget to replace the tailpipe gasket when re-installing!

The Harman Rep was involved and I just found out they laid him off, the dealer is requesting more money from Harman for the service. This is the only dealer that is in my area, all the others listed on the site are to far and can't help. So I am at the mercy of the dealer and Harman here.

well, if they laid one off, there's another....who is that? Or are you telling me that there is no representation in your area? As for other dealers, how far is "too far"? What area of the country are you in?

Lousyweather said:
well, if they laid one off, there's another....who is that? Or are you telling me that there is no representation in your area? As for other dealers, how far is "too far"? What area of the country are you in?

The one that had certified Harman techs was about 80 miles away when I mapped out the directions the others were around 40 miles away and use third party service companies also and when I called them I was around 50 or so miles from the companies they used. I think the other two have some sort of agreement with them because they only use them and no one else. One of the other service companies from the other dealer did call and to see where I was at but said that I was just to far. The Rep was just let go and the dealer was trying to find out who the new one is to get in contact with him or her. I will have to ask if they received a response back from the new Rep yet.

just checked Harman's site and they are listing 3 more dealers and the one that had the service techs is now missing? I would hope that when dealing with the rep he would have informed me of a dealer that was in my area that provided service, I did ask him and he told me there was none but the one I am dealing with. One of them must be new since where it is listed on the mapp did not have a stove shop there before, it is down the street from my old job and I never saw them and I would have driven by them serveral times.

swaltz I know it's no immediate help to you, but after reading other reports about Harmon's lousy service record and especially your problems I am ever so glad that we did not buy a Harmon stove. Originally my wife was really interested in a Harmon Advance. We were told how great the Harman's were: "top of the line, bottom feed etc.". We finally bought a Quad Castile standalone and have been very happy with it after learning just how to run and maintain it.
We all realize these are machines and will break down and need occasional repairs, and all dealers are not the same. I am sure there are very competent and knowledgeable Harmon dealers out there, but you would think that Harmon would realize the damage this is doing to the Harmon logo. Just imagine other Forum readers following this posting and all those who find your problem while searching for information prior to purchasing, and will decide not to buy a Harmon stove.

Best of luck with your problem and shame on Harmon for not resolving the issue to your satisfaction by now!

I'd still go with the position that the stove they picked up is the stove you want to pick up in the same condition, that is assembled. Take the sheriff and get everything in writing. Do not pay them a cent, even for the original pick up. Let him come after you with well documented charges, and let him know consumer protection will get a copy of everything.

littlesmokey said:
I'd still go with the position that the stove they picked up is the stove you want to pick up in the same condition, that is assembled. Take the sheriff and get everything in writing. Do not pay them a cent, even for the original pick up. Let him come after you with well documented charges, and let him know consumer protection will get a copy of everything.
Agreed 100%!!!!!!!!!!

mnkywrnch said:
littlesmokey said:
Agreed 100%!!!!!!!!!!

I had a thought like they screwed me maybe I could do the same to them. I never signed anything so I was wondering if I had them bring the stove back to the house then show them the door if i would get in trouble? My wife got mad at me we I suggested it but they have no proof that I authorised the repair.

Small Claims court is for the COUNTY & STATE the business is in. So you have to go to court in that area. If the dealer sold you the item.. you could go after the dealer.
Max in N.J. is $2000, I don't know other states. But expect to spend a day out of work for the court date.
I don't know if you go after the warranty, the dealer can be involved... autos are different. That would be like going after Walmart for a bad TV withing the warranty period.
Maybe check with Judge Judy !

Harman
352 Mountain House Road
Halifax, PA 17032

smalltown said:
swaltz I know it's no immediate help to you, but after reading other reports about Harmon's lousy service record and especially your problems I am ever so glad that we did not buy a Harmon stove. Originally my wife was really interested in a Harmon Advance. We were told how great the Harman's were: "top of the line, bottom feed etc.". We finally bought a Quad Castile standalone and have been very happy with it after learning just how to run and maintain it.
We all realize these are machines and will break down and need occasional repairs, and all dealers are not the same. I am sure there are very competent and knowledgeable Harmon dealers out there, but you would think that Harmon would realize the damage this is doing to the Harmon logo. Just imagine other Forum readers following this posting and all those who find your problem while searching for information prior to purchasing, and will decide not to buy a Harmon stove.

Best of luck with your problem and shame on Harmon for not resolving the issue to your satisfaction by now!

I dont think this is specifically a Harman issue, rather more a "perfect storm" of issues......the dealer is the one who actually fixes the units, not Harman. most of the issues you seem to have, regrettably, are issues with the crook who has the stove currently, and they arent a harman dealer, right? As for Quad.....yep, a VERY good series of stoves there.....BUT, Quad and harman are owned by the same parent compant, HHT. Guess what? Same warrantee, and requirements of their dealers.

Lousyweather said:
smalltown said:

I dont think this is specifically a Harman issue, rather more a "perfect storm" of issues......the dealer is the one who actually fixes the units, not Harman. most of the issues you seem to have, regrettably, are issues with the crook who has the stove currently, and they arent a harman dealer, right? As for Quad.....yep, a VERY good series of stoves there.....BUT, Quad and harman are owned by the same parent compant, HHT. Guess what? Same warrantee, and requirements of their dealers.

Lousyweather your position is well stated! But from a PR standpoint Harmon is going to take a hit on this issue.
I know HHT owns Harmon and Quad, but I have read that on the Quad side of the house you can deal with Quad directly wereas Harmon deals with its customers at arms length only through dealers.

MButkus said:
Small Claims court is for the COUNTY & STATE the business is in. So you have to go to court in that area. If the dealer sold you the item.. you could go after the dealer.
Max in N.J. is $2000, I don't know other states. But expect to spend a day out of work for the court date.
I don't know if you go after the warranty, the dealer can be involved... autos are different. That would be like going after Walmart for a bad TV withing the warranty period.
Maybe check with Judge Judy !

Harman
352 Mountain House Road
Halifax, PA 17032

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true. Here in NYS, you can sue the party either where you live or in the jurisdiction of where the defendant lives.

Can I get some help from a couple of Harman Techs?

I would like if you can write a letter and send to me in a email what the time to do the replacement of the Feeder Weldement would be on average and why you would not bring back the stove in parts and assemble when you get to the customers site. I have the letter written up for Consumer Protection Agency and would like to attach it to the letter to help out with my case. I already have the case number so I have already started the process they are just waiting to receive the information to proceed the investigation.

Please PM me and I will give you my email to send to.

minnow said:
Not true. Here in NYS, you can sue the party either where you live or in the jurisdiction of where the defendant lives.

Minnow, how can you say "not true", when you live in a different state? Do you know the laws in Delaware and Penn. ?

And unless the law in NY has changed since I went to Small Claims some years back, even in NY, you have to sue the person in the jurisdiction that THEY live in or their business is headquartered in.

smalltown said:
Lousyweather said:
smalltown said:

Lousyweather your position is well stated! But from a PR standpoint Harmon is going to take a hit on this issue.
I know HHT owns Harmon and Quad, but I have read that on the Quad side of the house you can deal with Quad directly wereas Harmon deals with its customers at arms length only through dealers.

Dont doubt that at all, smalltown......even though I still stand by my position that most of the angst here wasnt caused by Harman, but the outfit who is supposedly repairing the unit, and their very high "pricing structure" (*cough*)......We dont sell Quad, so cant comment on their support or lack thereof at all.

FWIW, I had a Harman dealer (same one we purchased stove from & they installed the stove) come out to look at our Harman XXV stove Saturday because the squeaking was driving us nuts! The squeaking turned out to be an arm in the back by the chain (which was too tight). He did some adjustments on that & they will do more in the shop. He looked at the end of the auger tube & said we have a hole there (looks like a crack to me). He said this is caused by the lowest row of burn pot holes & is a problem in the late 2007 & 2008 stoves. It's apparently a known defect, but the dealer can't fix it until the hole is evident. Our dealer is picking up the stove today, will replace the auger tube or whatever the fix is (some kit they have) and will close up those holes by welding them in. Then return the stove to us Wednesday. Harman is paying for everything except the $55 service call charge for Saturday.

If this is the same problem you're having with your stove - it's covered by Harman. This is a problem on all models of Harman in that time frame, not just the XXV.

mlwschultz said:
FWIW, I had a Harman dealer (same one we purchased stove from & they installed the stove) come out to look at our Harman XXV stove Saturday because the squeaking was driving us nuts! The squeaking turned out to be an arm in the back by the chain (which was too tight). He did some adjustments on that & they will do more in the shop. He looked at the end of the auger tube & said we have a hole there (looks like a crack to me). He said this is caused by the lowest row of burn pot holes & is a problem in the late 2007 & 2008 stoves. It's apparently a known defect, but the dealer can't fix it until the hole is evident. Our dealer is picking up the stove today, will replace the auger tube or whatever the fix is (some kit they have) and will close up those holes by welding them in. Then return the stove to us Wednesday. Harman is paying for everything except the $55 service call charge for Saturday.

If this is the same problem you're having with your stove - it's covered by Harman. This is a problem on all models of Harman in that time frame, not just the XXV.

The problem I have is there is no stove shops around me with Harman Techs, I don't understand why they can sell the stoves and have no techs. They will get the parts but you have to do the work, If I was looking for a stove today and found this out I would not buy a Harman since they are not standing behind their product.

ssman said:
Swalz, any new info on this mess?

Need the stove back getting very cold here, the service company said they would deliver it and install for a final price of $900 after the BBB sent them a letter. I also put in a complaint with Consumer Protection Agency, not sure if I should call and cancel the complaint or let them contact them also, would like to pay less but they did drop the pickup fee.

Not to happy but better then $1140 or $900 to pick up myself and assemble, they will be installing it this Friday. Harman was no help they said the most they will pay for any repair is $450, no apologies for their dealers not having service techs. So I am going to be out $450 for something that is a known problem and should have been covered under warranty, I have to pay the $900 up front and wait to be reimbursed from Harman so I am rearranging my bills and paying what I can with American Express card, that is the only card I have and they don't take it. All I have to say it better work for what I am spending and I won't be giving them any more money to fix if it doesn't. Only good thing is I have a side job this week that I will make $300 or more, already have 4 hrs into it and will most likely spend another 6 hrs to fix all the problems so that will help. I could bill more but I treat my customers fair and they keep coming back, I just had to turn down a lot of work and give it to other people since I have not had the time this past year to do it. Thinking of getting a service license again and start doing side work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.