Harman XXV broken door hinge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bobkat

Dec 9, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi all. I have a 2007 XXV and the bottom hinge eye on the load door has broken. I think my grandson swung it open too far and cracked the hinge eye on the door. I've tried some MacGyver fixes but no luck. Short of buying a new $800 door has anyone had this problem and found a fix?

If you could post a pic of the damage, maybe someone here could come up with a fix,
but seeing as that door is Cast Iron, it's probably gonna need to be replaced.
If you can find a reputable welding & machine shop, you may be able to have it
re-welded & re-machined to the original specifications, but welding CI is tricky.

There is a welding rod now made for use on cast iron. I had a oilfield pipeline welder weld a support bracket on to a cast iron part when the factory weld failed. I’m reasonably confident the technique has probably improved since I had the repair done.

Reactions: DAKSY and jackman
If you could post a pic of the damage, maybe someone here could come up with a fix,
but seeing as that door is Cast Iron, it's probably gonna need to be replaced.
If you can find a reputable welding & machine shop, you may be able to have it
re-welded & re-machined to the original specifications, but welding CI is tricky.
Thanks folks. A pic is attached. You can see the break through the eye diameter. I looked into cutting out the boss that has the hinge eye in it and making a new one out of steel and then welding it but no one can guarantee the thinner door wouldn't develop cracks. I tried to JB weld some steel strips onto the boss to contain the hinge pin but it didn't hold. Also tried to drill and tap the boss but I couldn't drill it with HSS bits. That surprised me because it thought CI was easy to drill. Not sure if the CI is alloyed with something to harden it. Looking like I'm going to need a new door.

20221209_122312.jpg

Welding cast is not new, or that difficult. Lift door off and take to a welding shop. If you do not have the broken piece, or even if you do, they may prefer to make a piece out of flat steel, and weld this to the door. Have a new gasket ready, chances are it may not be in exactly the same place, and old gasket may not seal.

Reactions: DAKSY and 1kzwoman
Welding cast is not new, or that difficult. Lift door off and take to a welding shop. If you do not have the broken piece, or even if you do, they may prefer to make a piece out of flat steel, and weld this to the door. Have a new gasket ready, chances are it may not be in exactly the same place, and old gasket may not seal.
Want to thank you folks for your advice. There are only three welders in my area and the two that I spoke with weren't interested in this kind of job. I weld from time to time but wouldn't even think of trying this. Preheat, correct electrode, technique, etc. I pulled the plug for the new door.
Thanks again for your quick responses to my first post.
Bob

Reactions: DAKSY
Want to thank you folks for your advice. There are only three welders in my area and the two that I spoke with weren't interested in this kind of job. I weld from time to time but wouldn't even think of trying this. Preheat, correct electrode, technique, etc. I pulled the plug for the new door.
Thanks again for your quick responses to my first post.
Bob
Keep the grandson away from the new one!

I know you have the new door coming but cast iron accepts brazing very well and would most likely be strong enough for this application. That would have been my first Mcgyver try.

Reactions: railfanron