Harman XXV - Hole right behind burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

digitys

Nov 19, 2014
Concord NH
Breaking down this Harman XXV. Hoping to use it for the coming season.

Basically I was told it needed a burn pot because it had a hole, closer inspection and its not the burn pot, but just behind that and under the auger. Please see the slit just below the auger fin in the picture.

What part is this? Having trouble locating it in the diagrams.
IMG_8502.jpg

As the exhaust fan blows out exhaust it creates a vacuum in the burn pot which it draws through, it pulls air through the holes in the burn pot for combustion. That slit in the weld is allowing air to be drawn around the burn pot, cutting down on the volume drawn through the pellets waiting to burn. I think the slit will cause the burn to shift towards the auger end.

Anyway .... it might be repairable by a welder, but it's gonna be some work getting to it, same work to get to the back side as if replacing it.

Thank you for the pic though, another view showing me simularities with my old stove.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I had the same problem on my PC45. I replaced the weldment. It's about a half a day job, but I'm a mechanic and have about every tool at my disposal. After seeing what's behind the crack (nothing close) I'll weld it up in place next time , circuit board disconnected for sure. Harmans are known for this but not every one does it. I thought mine came from 10 years of straight corn before me. The new weldment has been in 3 years and a dip is starting to form in it and all I burn is pellets. That crack is not truly a crack it's worn through and will be paper thin a 1/4 to 1/2 inch in every direction. I put JB weld on the old weldment to get me through the end of one winter and it held pretty good. I'm kind of thinking about putting some in my newly forming dip to see if I can stop the wear in it's tracks.

Reactions: tbear853
Easily fixed by welding it up. Recommend pulling the auger out, then bending a patch panel in a shape of a U (I think with a 2 inch diameter), hold in place with the 90 degree end of a Wonder Bar, then weld it up. Grind to smooth it out. Typically the auger tip is severely eroded and needs extending, but yours looks pretty good.

Appreciate all of the thoughts here! I ended up ordering a new weldment but now I am realizing there is basically no instructions out there. Best way to get at this thing in an XXV? Seems like removing the hopper/lid would be the best way to get in there but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Replace the auger while you are at it. It is burnt back some. I have done a feeder replacement on every model except an XXV...

Definitely doing the auger. I have the parts here as of today. Literally so unclear where to even start to replace this thing. Do I remove the top and hopper? If so, anyone have any tips. Someone must have done this on here ha

I had the same problem on my 2006 Accentra insert. I patched it 3 years ago with auto muffler cement and it’s still holding.