Harman XXV not feeding pellets in Room Temp mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AtlinGold

Oct 11, 2018
Bangor, Maine
I bought a used, 2006 Harman XXV last year. I heated my house the whole winter without problems in room temp mode (manual). This year, it started for the first week just fine, then we had two days of 70+ deg days so I turned off the stove for those days. The temp sensor is set up behind the stove ~5' off the ground. During the week room temp worked, the room temp was exactly what the dial said it should be. Now it will not feed pellets in room temp mode.

I start my stove on stove temp/manual, then after it is going well (15-30 min) switch to room temp. Even if I set room temp to 90 deg, the feed motor does not come on, no pellets are fed, and the fire burns out. There are no problems in stove temp mode -- pellets are fed, blowers work, etc.

I cleaned out the stove, cleaned the ESP, etc, checked the chain drive, fines box, and everything seems ok.

I cannot think of why it all of the sudden would stop feeding pellets in room temp even set at 90 F.

Something similar happened to me when changing modes. I forgot to flip the toggle switch back to auto mode. I’ve actually done that twice.

Does it feed on auto? Any error codes?

It will feed on auto, but only if the room temp setting is what the room temp currently is. So if I heat the room up to 75 deg with the stove on stove temp/manual and set room temp/auto at 75 deg, it will stay on. But if I drop the room temp/auto setting to 60 F, no feeding and the fire goes out.

The status light is not constant while in auto. It seems to come on when the feed motor comes on, and briefly at other times. Why Harman did not spend the extra $0.25 to have several separate LEDs, one for each error, I have no idea. This blinking thing is stupid.

When I tried it in room temp/manual, I think it might have been showing two errors: 3 blinks (ESP), and 6 blinks (lack of combustion). There would be a residual fire in the pot with this codes maybe showing, and if I turned it to stove temp/manual, the status light would go solid and the stove would come back to life.

I’m not following you. So if you set igniter switch to auto so your igniter will light your stove and turn your room temp up to something warmer than your room, will it feed, light and run the stove until the room is warmed up and then stop feeding so that the fire dies out and stove shuts off until the room cools back off initiating a new cycle? That’s how it should work if your trying to run on room temp. I’m not sure what your trying to do with your igniter switch, but if your igniter is working you should leave it on auto. If it’s still having trouble when the controls are set up correctly, you could have a faulty room sensor or the pots on your control board could have a flat spot developing. Double check your wires from the board to the room sensor. They sometimes get pinched coming out of the board. You can also take your board off the stove, pull the control knobs and blow out the pots ( limit switches the knobs plug into) with some can air to make sure there isn’t some dust inside that’s causing them to act up.

From what you have written, it seems your room temp mode is operating as it should. If you would prefer that the stove flame not go out when the desired room temp is reached, switch to manual mode and the stove will do a maintenance burn until the room temp falls below the desired setting.

Yes, the room temp/auto works except my ignitor only works sometimes (even after buying a new one) so often it won't light. I never light the stove with the ignitor. I use a propane torch. I'd rather leave the stove in room temp/manual except the fire goes out even when the room temp is set to 90 F. The maintenance burn does not work in room temp/manual.

Thanks for the suggestion to check the wires and the pots. I'll check those.

when I switch around from stove temp to room temp and I do not see feed mode working I put the feed on test then on 2-3 and do the same with the stove and room temp turning it to off then back on . seems it resets it and always worked for me. hold it for like 2 seconds on off. try that. I have disconnected my ignitor and use a map gas torch.

Last edited:
Is the airflow controlled by more than the combustion blower speed? Is there a damper? I've cleaned the ignitor area under the burn pot so there should be unrestricted flow there.
No damper. A clog somewhere in the exhaust could decrease airflow, and a leak at the door gasket or basically anywhere that pulls air in instead of through the pot over the igniter could also cause slow ignitions. Damp pellets also take longer to light, and clogs in the burn pot holes make it hard to light. There’s also the possibility that you need to pull the igniter and clean ash out of the fins.

No damper. A clog somewhere in the exhaust could decrease airflow, and a leak at the door gasket or basically anywhere that pulls air in instead of through the pot over the igniter could also cause slow ignitions. Damp pellets also take longer to light, and clogs in the burn pot holes make it hard to light. There’s also the possibility that you need to pull the igniter and clean ash out of the fins.
I do not think there is a need to take out igniter.I take off the wing nuts on the little door below the igniter tap both sides of the pot with hammer and watch all the dust fall out and to the bottom of the pot where you can stick your finger in and drag out the dust. you will be amazed at what comes out. I disconnected my igniter being it would not shut off. I use a map torch on the pellets for not even a minute and they light