Harman XXV to a Parody of the Tom Petty Lyrics 'I Won't Shut Down'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MarkF48

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2011
Central MA
About the 9th year with the XXV and occasionally when shutting down the stove at night by 'zeroing' the Stove/Room Temp control it sometimes takes a long time (3/4 hr) to shutdown and during the process still feeds a small amount of pellets even as the flame diminishes, but eventually does extinguish. Less frequently, it sometimes does not seem to go into the shutdown process at all and rather than simply unplugging the stove which would kill all the fans/blowers (the manual recommends against unplugging(?)), I've taken to opening the hopper lid which opens the power feed to the auger motor via the lid switch. I'm guessing at the age of the stove the 'Stove/Room Temp' potentiometer may be due for replacement which I'll address in the Spring (or sooner with a shot of DEOxit Fader spray).

Anyone think of any downside to shutting down the stove by opening the hopper lid until the pellets run out? I'm almost kinda tempted to add a switch in series with the hopper lid switch to use as a shut down switch which would be a more reliable means of turning the stove off.

I would guess the potentiometers too. My stove did that the very first time I shut it off but never again. You could try rotating the pots
multiple times with the stove unplugged to wipe the contacts and spraying the pots with electrical contact cleaner.

If ash is packed around esp it will cause this situation also. But probably board issue