Harman XXV what's your stoves favorite pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donn Fletcher

Jan 10, 2012
South Western NH
I know pellets change from year to year so for this burn season what has been your stove's favorite pellet? I've had Barefoot, Cubex,inferno, New England, and just picked up 4 bags of Maine Woods Pellets.
I only had a few bags of the MWP's but they burned the best. Nice heat and good ash. The worst was the Cubex with the Inferno behind them.

Right now mine is munching on Turmans and likes them :)

Reactions: CT Pellet
Turman and Barefoot

The worst was the Cubex with the Inferno behind them.
I cannot think of a worse insult to a pellet.......That's worse that a "your mama" put down! Daaaammmn.....

Mine ate lots of turmans, they burnt well. Then I burned some spruce pointes I really liked those. Now I am trying independence softwoods, they seem to burn OK, but have an odd smell and had to be placed on the porch, think they are out on what to burn for next year. Couldn't take my basement smelling like that.

I've been using Turmans for awhile now and once I run out I will never buy them again. Unlike others here, I don't find the heat output all that great, I get lots of clumpy ash and carbon build up, and by morning it seems the stove is over feeding the pellets. I've gone through 3.5 tons since last March and have 1.5 tons left, it was the only pellet my dealer sold.

Now being wiser and smarter, thanks to this forum, I tried 6 bags of Vermonts and with the stove on the same settings, what a huge difference! Again it was only 6 bags but the house was much, much warmer, ash was less, fluffy and not clumpy, and it seemed it took almost a week to go though all the bags. With the Turmans, stove is going through them much faster.

For the record, I have a Harman XXV and do almost a full cleaning every 2 weeks (the exception being doing the lint-eater and LBT, I do those usually after a ton or so).

Barefoot. I couldn't get 'em in the 2008 shortage, but I've burned 2 or 3 tons each season since then.

Northern and Spruce Pointe got us through the cold with no problems. Low ash and Great heat with both.

I'm with you, Goliath. I find the burnpot buildup from the Turmans much more stubborn than with other brands. I get the same heat with less ash and less buildup from Vermonts, so they're my "go to" pellet at the moment.

I'll stick with the MWP's. No need to pay the extra $$$ for the other stuff. And I agree with the OP, I tried 5 bags of Cubex last year and they were the worst I burned all year.

My stoves are not picky, but I sure am.

Past two years, been burning primarily Spruce Pointe.
They burn hot and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.