Harmon Accentra Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When all else fails, blame it on the Indecks :eek: Seriously, keep us posted on the Uncle Jeds...

When all else fails, blame it on the Indecks :eek: Seriously, keep us posted on the Uncle Jeds...
Been burning the uncle Jed's for a little over 24hrs and can say there is a huge improvement with the total amount of ash getting generated vs the indecks. I am still generating ash in the burn pot with the Uncle Jed's but only need to clean the burn pot daily. I still think my burn is to far into the burn pot. I run my stove using the stove temp mod. And typically run at about 4.5 and the stove temp pot is set a little beyond the low setting. I did turn my stove setting up to 7, when running at 7 there were enough pellets in the burn pot to move the burn higher in the pot. I did look at a p61 at the retailer and it's flame ran much higher in the pot as well and that stove was set at 3. I've done everything that has been recommended and I'm about out of ideas. I also measured the chamber vacuum. It runs about -.45 w/c, I measured from a port on bottom of the ash chamber. Anyone other ideas?

This is probably going to be a never ending thread, given weldment failures.
Got a text from my daughter last night. They were cleaning their Accentra XXV and found the crack in the auger tube end.
We went round a bit with the dealer (of course, it is out of warranty) and decided that we will weld the crack.
It appears to be far enough away from the auger that it should work (?)

Has anyone done this? I have a friend with a small inverter stick welder who is coming this afternoon to seal up the crack.

We have been developing a gravity fed pellet boiler for several years. Now I feel pretty good about it!
This is a failure that is unacceptable given the original cost of the units.

I welded mine in my Harman Invincible but I disassembled the stove first. (big job). I would be very concerned about the circuitry in the control board if you are going to weld the auger tube while it is still installed in the stove.

This is probably going to be a never ending thread, given weldment failures.
Got a text from my daughter last night. They were cleaning their Accentra XXV and found the crack in the auger tube end.
We went round a bit with the dealer (of course, it is out of warranty) and decided that we will weld the crack.
It appears to be far enough away from the auger that it should work (?)

Has anyone done this? I have a friend with a small inverter stick welder who is coming this afternoon to seal up the crack.

We have been developing a gravity fed pellet boiler for several years. Now I feel pretty good about it!
This is a failure that is unacceptable given the original cost of the units.

I just went through this same repair - and did it just the way you suggest, but used a mig welder: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/accentra-insert-hole-in-auger-pipe.157776/#post-2119874

I removed the control panel and unplugged the stove before welding, and had no problems. I needed to remove the burn pot to allow access for the repair job. I also replaced the auger (the tip had burned off the original part) to hopefully prevent a similar failure in the future.

I did similar to my Invincible T. Removed the weldment, and had the hole tig'd closed.

Corrected air leaks upon reassembly, now the burn occurs on the burnpot ramp as it should, not in the auger, and its not grinding carbon against the tube thinning it, just raw pellets as it should.

I wouldn't try to fill a hole with a stick welder, but if yours is just a crack, it may work

So...seriously consider taking the control board out of the stove before welding it.

We welded it today, in front of a cold snap that is happening tonight.
You could see through the crack. My friend Bruce has a small inverter stick welder and sealed it up.
He turned it down and did a good job. Not a lot to weld to.
He felt we should replace the tube with stainless if it happens again.

Of course, I forgot to take pics.

We did not remove the control panel but did unplug the stove, along with the computers in the house.
spent more time cleaning up the weld than welding since access was limited.

Bruce thought the auger chain was too dry and lubed it.
My daughter said it was making noise.
Bruce wondered about the auger moving with the thumping noise it was making and gouging the crack we all see.

A good friend coming to fix it on a cold day.
I owe him.

Reactions: Lake Girl and bags
tom, don't you know pics or it didn't happen?? ;) Glad to hear you have a good friend that will help you out that way ... hopefully you and Bruce will have the chance to sit back and enjoy the fire!

I will get my daughter to take picks of the weld job the next time they clean the stove.
Today I check the other Accentra!
-6F on the coast but no wind, for now....

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.