Sako7STW Posted By Sako7STW, Nov 29, 2017 at 2:52 PM

1. rickwai

rickwai
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2011
    Loc:
    ohio
    The flame should look like Bart Simpsons Hair when burning on a 4!:):)
    It should go straight up and be approx. at the center of the medallion

2. rickwai

rickwai
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 1, 2011
    Loc:
    ohio
    If you have fresh air hooked up to it unhook it and check the flapper at the intake to make sure it is not stuck closed and run it like that. If flue is clean and tubes and behind plates are clean it seems like it is from the intake. You cleaned out under the igniter area? Also take a mirror and make sure the rows of holes in the burn pot are not clogged. Stove is starving for air

3. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    Although a different stove, a P61a, it should look close to this.

P61 flame.jpg

Harmanizer and alternativeheat like this.
  4. Sako7STW

Sako7STW
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2017
    Loc:
    Bear River WY
    My next plan of attack is replacing the door seal since we for sure know it is not sealing. I can the kit for the FS model. Is it the same kit for the insert like I have?

I am going to pull the stove farther out, now that my wife is back from her business trip and can help me with it. I will check the intake dampner and make sure it is open and then hopefully weather permits, I will get the flue cleaned out.

5. fmsm

fmsm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2011
    Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    Google LEAF BLOWER TRICK and try that. That should suck out all of your ash and relieve any blockages.

6. alternativeheat

alternativeheat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    The damper is automatic, you just need to make sure it swings freely. Also just clamp down the OAK line tight enough to hold it, over cranking the clamp for that can distort the collar just enough to bind the damper while the clamp is tight. And as soon as you loosen it the damper is free again, causing deception.

Door gasket material I just match at the local hardware store and buy it there.

If your vent hasn't been cleaned you need to get to it, lol. Glad to hear your wife is home safe and sound. When we bought our P61a we really wanted the 52i insert but we aren't young and both have had back issues, the P61 won for it's simplicity to maintain. But those inserts sure are pretty ! It's OK, we're more used to a stove on the hearth anyway, loving the P61a.

Knuckles2002 likes this.
  7. Sako7STW

Sako7STW
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2017
    Loc:
    Bear River WY
    Ok so here is the update. I checked the flapper on the intake and it was fine.then I found a 10' pellet stove flue cleaning brush and cleaned out the flue. The fire is now much more active and putting out better heat for sure. Here is a picture of the flame now. The camera darkened it for some reason. The flame is much brighter than it appears in the photo

Attached Files:

Harmanizer and bob bare like this.
  8. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    That is great,you have made progress.But,having a 10 foot brush,does it go to the top of the chimney?And,you would be surprised at how many chimney tops get plugged.And,you never answered if the chimney flue was properly blocked off.Got to think of the whole picture.

9. alternativeheat

alternativeheat
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2013
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma.
    Why does that flame look like it's waving off to the right I wonder.

10. Peterfield

Peterfield
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2013
    Loc:
    New Hampshire
    Comparing the picture of your flame with that of my stove right now, I'd say your flame still has that lazy swirl versus fingers of whitish flame extending straight upwards. The good news is the more time you've spent cleaning out sections of the flue, the more heat your stove is producing and the better the flame has shown in your pics. That would tell me you're on the right track and when the entire length of the flue pipe has been thoroughly cleaned, the stove will perform even better than it does now.

Harmanizer likes this.
  11. Sako7STW

Sako7STW
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2017
    Loc:
    Bear River WY
    Sorry, your right, I did not answer your question. Yes it does have a propper block plate and I was able to clean to the plate. I did get on the roof to check the chimney. It was too tall for me to be able to see in and work on.

For some reason the flame does always go to the right. I am thinking it has a leaking door gasket and it's reaching for air. I hope to replace the door gasket today if I don't get a rashing of headaches again.

Honestly, I was gassed at work earlier this week with H2S and have been home. Yesterday was the first day I felt up to trying to get up there. I would have had to get on the steep pitched section of the roof to get any higher and my head was not having it. Infact, kinda funny, I trapped myself on the roof. Every time I would go to step on the ladder I would get dizzy. I literally had to move the ladder into our trees so I could use the branches to steady myself so I could get down. It was over an hour trying to figure out what to do. I thought I was going to have to wait for my wife to get home LOL. So here is a lesson for ya. Don't get on the roof without your phone if your alone. Don't get around H2S either. Here is a pic of the house so you can see what I mean.

Attached Files:

12. Sako7STW

Sako7STW
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 29, 2017
    Loc:
    Bear River WY
    So here is the latest update. I think we have achieved max performance. Well atleast for now. After further research ;) I adjusted the potentiometer for the line voltage going to the intake blower to Max. (I am at 7000ft). It wasn't much. Only about a quarter turn to Max.

Then I replaced the door seal. I think that was a major contributeing factor. It has now burned 13 hours and the glass is still clean!!!

I really want to say THANK YOU to all of you for your help. I have really learned alot on this journey from you all. I think if I do anything else I want to put a new sensor in it but money is a little tight right now so it may wait till next season.

Attached Files:

13. Harmanizer

Harmanizer
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Oct 23, 2012
    Loc:
    South East Massachusetts
    Flame looks much better.Good luck.