Harmon P 43 not burning correctly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kazman 213

Nov 9, 2018
Delaware
Hello and thank you for letting me join your web site.
I have been struggling with my P43 for a couple of years now. I have addressed the error blinks time after time and the changes that I have made seem to have lasted the first burn after the fix but then it goes back to something being wrong.
I have been reading forums like your for two years and let me tell you a lot of people have the same problems I have had. Strong burn on the left side of the burn pot, not burning across the entire burn box, pellets not burnt and running over the end of the burn box, and last but not least, waking up to a house filled with smoke. I have also read about service men trying to repair the stoves and never fixing the problem only to be called back time and time again.
I am a machinist and trouble shooting is what I do to make thins work but this stove was a challenge to say the least. I know fire needs air and the stove was getting enough air but not to the right locations. I cleaned the stove to the point you would cook an egg in the burn pot but still not burning right. Replace all the gaskets, igniter, pressure switch. control board and still not burning right. The only gasket I had not replaced was the burn pot gasket. Something was stopping the air from circulating in the air intake. I finally went and bought a bore scope to be able to see the back of the air intake and sure enough there were fines that had collected in the back corners of the air intake over the last 6 years. I also decided to change the burn pot gasket in a final attempt to fix this thing. When I started to loosen the 4 nuts holding the burn pot in place, I noticed the left side nuts were fairly loose and the right side not tight at all. When I removed the burn pot from the 4 bolts, a good amount of ash fell to the bottom of the stove. There is a groove on the back of the burn pot that supplies air to the two small hole in the back of the burn pot and the right side must have been filled with ash. I attached a small tube to a vacuum cleaner and removed all of the fines in the back of the air intake. The bore scope showed me the channel to the left of the air intake that leads to the clear tube on the back of the stove.
I realize the the nuts were not supposed to be too tight for thermal expansion so putting on the new burn pot gasket, the nuts were just snugged.
The stove started up perfectly the first time. The burn pot was burning completely across the back and looking good. I also notice now the stove is responding to adjustments made at the control board. That hasn't happened in 2 years. I hope my experience will help others with this same problem.

Great write up and welcome to a geat resource. Glad you got it figured out...I'm a millwright and I think both trades, machinist alike are good a backround to have when it comes to these stoves...well done!

Fantastic that you wrote this up to help others!

One of the first things I suspect when people say that they have an issue with not enough air flow, is that ash has backed up at the actual air supply, versus just the area below the igniter or plugged holes in the burn pot. People believe they clean as they should, but usually don't think to reach way back there.

Reactions: Washed-Up