Harmon p35i 5 and 6 blink code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hobbsj

Oct 26, 2021
Maine
Howdy, I appreciate all the help on this page. However, I can’t find an answer that fits what I’m diagnosing. I have a p35i. It quit working a couple years ago and I got tired of troubleshooting. So I’m back at it. I did a thorough cleaning twice and made sure the motor is seated properly and fines box cover was installed. However, I keep getting 5 blink errors and sometimes six. The stove feeds pellets and they ignite, but the fire never grows and sometimes will sniff out and reignite. The pellets get burned completely and new fuel will slowly make its way in. But again, the flame never really gets big. Sometimes there will be enough heat to start the distribution blower, but then it drops back down in temp and I get either a 5 light or 6 light error. I replaced the door seal and gasket to the exhaust when I first started having issues and they still look new. Thanks for the help.

You did a cleaning but did that include all of the vent pipe? I'd suspect a possible blockage in the vent first.

You did a cleaning but did that include all of the vent pipe? I'd suspect a possible blockage in the vent first.
Yeah, I did the vent. A bunch of gunk came out so I really worked it until nothing came out with the vacuum and the brush. I’m assuming you are talking about the pipe up to the chimney unless there’s another vent I’m missing.

I’m assuming you are talking about the pipe up to the chimney unless there’s another vent I’m missing.
Yes, that's correct. Also, check the outside air intake if you have one.

Yes, that's correct. Also, check the outside air intake if you have one.
Yeah, I scrubbed it. I don’t have an outside air intake.

Could it be the combustion fan? I don’t hear any grinding and the blade spins freely by hand. Is it possible it could just be moving less air? Trying to address cheaper fixes before I spend more money on the motor and impeller.

Yeah, I scrubbed it. I don’t have an outside air intake.

Could it be the combustion fan? I don’t hear any grinding and the blade spins freely by hand. Is it possible it could just be moving less air? Trying to address cheaper fixes before I spend more money on the motor and impeller.
Sounds like an ESP probe failure or extremely dirty probe… 5 blink means it doesn’t detect ignition, 6 means ESP is out of range… the ESP needs to see a certain temperature to verify ignition if it does not you get 5 blinks, if you are getting 6 it means that the probe is out of range or giving a value that isn’t possible.

I agree with Montecarlossfan. I'd suspect the ESP. Are you sure you cleaned it well. I have to lay down and with a small long handle brush and a good flashlight gently clean off the ESP in the exhaust tube. Make sure you've cleaned all the way thru to the flue pipe connector in the back of the stove.

I cleaned the ESP and then tried a new one. I thought it may have not been sensing the ignition. But nothing changed when I fired it up again.

How does the stove respond when everything is off and then the feed knob turned to test mode? Does it feed pellets with door closed and stop when the door is left open?

ESP or Control board. The stove was obviously neglected and now it is time to pay the price. I would also clean it using the leaf blower trick to make sure it is thoroughly cleaned.