Harmon PF 100 - igniter light and feeder light will not turn on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

imanoxymoron

Oct 12, 2021
pennsylvania
I've fixed several problems in the past on the PF 100, but need some advice where to start replacing parts here, as everyone who used to professionally work on these stoves have quit or disappeared - so I'm on my own. Given propane/natural gas shortages are coming - I'd rather have this working.

I have completely powered off the unit at the breaker (30 minutes) to try and reset the circuit. I've gone into test mode etc - but nothing seems to happen with the feed motor and the igniter light no matter what. They simply don't turn on. The blower motor works but sounds terrible - but definitely powers up when I turn the furnace on. That may need to be replaced but definitely works. It seems unlikely that it is both the igniter and the feeder going bad at the same time- any thoughts here? Should i consider replacing main board? Not sure where to go with it. This is the read out - nothing happens beyond the blower motor powering on- all the other fans seem to work as well. It's very odd. I didn't use the stove last season - so it's possible something got fried and I didn't know it.

pellet.jpg

I would chalk up the blower sound to sitting for a year+. As far as the feeder, can you pull it out and see if its seized or something from sitting? I'm not sure if you can jumper those but if you can, it would be advantageous just to see if they're gone bad. If they're not then yes I would suspect the brains that's making them work has an issue.

Just my 2 cents

I would chalk up the blower sound to sitting for a year+. As far as the feeder, can you pull it out and see if its seized or something from sitting? I'm not sure if you can jumper those but if you can, it would be advantageous just to see if they're gone bad. If they're not then yes I would suspect the brains that's making them work has an issue.

Just my 2 cents
I have seen the term 'jumper' on this forum- do you know of a good link within the forum to explain this? Yeah could be anything - right? I do think it's worthwhile to get this thing running again given how expensive propane is going to be - if you can buy it at all... Yeah i wonder if i just pull auger out and see what it looks like- the blower motor barely even would spin. Although - would the igniter not come on until the pellet auger said 'ok'? If separate - then i'd think the board is fried. It would be odd for both to go bad at same time. Either way - i'm going to have to start pulling this thing apart. If you have any other suggestions - it would be much appreciated- somewhat new obviously at servicing this thing. I've replaced parts only when the problem was obvious - not a trainwreck where half the thing doesn't work. Thanks again.

It's very possible you have more than one problem with the stove. First, like the previous poster suggested, check to see if the auger turns. Then hook up a test lead directly to the feed motor and see if that turns the auger. Then I'd check the resistance of the igniter which should be about 40 ohms and replace it if it's reading an open or short.

I have seen the term 'jumper' on this forum- do you know of a good link within the forum to explain this? Yeah could be anything - right? I do think it's worthwhile to get this thing running again given how expensive propane is going to be - if you can buy it at all... Yeah i wonder if i just pull auger out and see what it looks like- the blower motor barely even would spin. Although - would the igniter not come on until the pellet auger said 'ok'? If separate - then i'd think the board is fried. It would be odd for both to go bad at same time. Either way - i'm going to have to start pulling this thing apart. If you have any other suggestions - it would be much appreciated- somewhat new obviously at servicing this thing. I've replaced parts only when the problem was obvious - not a trainwreck where half the thing doesn't work. Thanks again.
Jumping something in the system kind of forces it to operate. When these stoves operate they do things in sequence like dropping pellets then the igniter getting hot (wouldn't want it the other way around lol). But jumping it is taking a wire and putting it across the switch while its got power so it starts operating. So in this example, jumping the auger will force it to operate (or maybe in your case not operate if its bad) so that you can either rule it out as a problem or find out that it is your problem.

To check your igniter, take a meter and set it to ohms (resistance). If it measures zero, its dead. I think they're usually like 40 ohms or something.