Has Anyone Ever Used Wood and Sons Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I know this is an older post but I have loved the Maine woods. The cubix I tried had great heat output but the ash and how dirty my glass got was as bad as the big box stores cheap ones. I was not impressed with Cubix. The wood and sons is amazing so far, hardly any ash buildup in the pot and glass buildup is minimal. Heat output is really good as well. So far my favorite pellet!
Where are you getting the Wood and Sons in the Conway area? I'm down the road in Freedom. Thanks!

Where are you getting the Wood and Sons in the Conway area? I'm down the road in Freedom. Thanks!
Ill post a link to the place below. It took me some time to find them a place that actually had some in stock, wasnt easy! Its a place in Intervale called GDC concrete and garden center. Its just five minutes past North Conway on the left. They are tough to get in touch with but if you are going to get them yourself he works on an honer system (I love our old fashioned area!) go there any time, day or night and grab your bags then toss the money or a check in the drop box. Only thing is watch your bags. They are left outside and covered but he said sometimes people forget to cover them back up when they leave. I got 25 bags my last trip and they were all good, little damp outside the bags but pellets all dry and burning great. They are 6.50 a bag, also a good price for these. Not sure how many he has left. I know the pallet I pulled from was almost out.
Best of luck!

Reactions: notch
This season I've used Wood & Sons, Vermont and NW Supreme Doug Fir. I rate the Wood & Sons as good (good heat, low ash), Vermont as better (a bit more heat, low ash) and the NWSDF as best (great heat, very little ash). Only use the NWSDF on really cold days/nights.
Only cons to my batch of W&S are lots of fines in the bags and poor sealing of the bags, have had a lot of the top seams start to pop open when moving bags.

Sam

I have done tests on the woods and sons pellets twice during the last 3 years. I am a former wood products laboratory researcher. Whenever I compare pellet brands I try to make sure the burn conditions between different brands are as close as possible. Factors that I check in addition to heat are the amount and type of ash left after one bag of pellets. I also measure the type and quantity of Ash dust that is left on the clear glass door after one bag. I made all of my measurements using the stoves internal thermostat and display. I checked stove top and glass temperature at various heat settings including the unbridled setting of HI. I also make a visual estimate/ measurement of the amount of sparking that occurs during burn time and also the amount of pellets that are left unburned or miss the fire pot due to various reasons, usually the pellet geometry.

The Woods and Sons test out as a middle of the road pellet that leaves behind above average amounts of Ash both on the windows and in the burn pot. The reason for more Ash is due to less than ideal burn consumption of the pellets. This possibly can be overcome by adjusting the air to fuel mixture and running your stove on full out HI. If you can get these pellets for under $300 they would be a good choice to burn in the dead of the winter when temperatures are extremely cold and your stove is operating on a very high constant temperature. I have tested more than 10 brands and the Woods and Sons pellets were the only pellet that I ever experienced problems with the pellets igniting very slowly and smoking way too much before they burst into flames. The La Crete and the purple bag Douglas Fir Warmth pellets both performed much better in all categories and their quality was much more consistent. However, price is always an issue, isn't it? :)

I have tested more than 10 brands and the Woods and Sons pellets were the only pellet that I ever experienced problems with the pellets igniting very slowly and smoking way too much before they burst into flames. The La Crete and the purple bag Douglas Fir Warmth pellets both performed much better in all categories and their quality was much more consistent. However, price is always an issue, isn't it? :)

I've been using the W&S when I have run our P43 occasionally at night over the past few weeks and have noticed the slow igniting. At first I thought it may have been a little ash on the igniter but even doing a little blast of canned air down thru the burnpot holes first hasn't helped. Have taken to putting a some starting gel on a handful of pellets and tossing them into the burnpot first which has helped.

I'll probably just get Vermont when I get my supply for 22-23. Only about $10/ton more and a better burning pellet.

sam