Has anyone tried a wood pellet/corn mix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgros

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2009
DE
My Harman dealer doesn't necessarily recommend it but the brochure does say it can be done. Just wondering if anyone has tried it. If so, was it worth it? Did it burn better, make more or less of a mess, produce better heat?

- Rosemarie

My stove also will burn corn....But I've read on here it's pretty dirty....Don't think I'll try it though....

Yeah, I was wondering about the mess and the whole clinker thing. I think the vent will be fine but I'll ask my dealer later. I thought I read somewhere that the corn burned hotter than the pellets. We just had ours installed on Saturday and they brought us 10 bags of O'Malley pellets and we only have one left. We're going through some serious pellets!

- Rosemarie

You've burned 9 bags since Saturday? Does it run 24/7?

Raven,

Yes...24/7. Otherwise its too cold in here. I have way too many windows and a two story living room and foyer so I think thats a big factor. A well placed fan might help I guess. We wake up to 60 degrees in the morning, even with the stove running constantly.

Where's the stove located?

rgros said:
Raven,

Yes...24/7. Otherwise its too cold in here. I have way too many windows and a two story living room and foyer so I think thats a big factor. A well placed fan might help I guess. We wake up to 60 degrees in the morning, even with the stove running constantly.

You definitely need ceiling fans. I bet it's 80 degrees way up there. 8-/

Corn - doesn't burn as hot and is corrosive to the vent pipes.

Its located in the room with the two story ceiling. The room opens to a two story foyer and baconly that opens to the bedrooms upstairs. I put a regular box fan in the hallway blowing from the cold bedrooms toward the stove. That did seem to bring up the temperature a bit in the back bedroom. Either that or the sun did it. I'm pretty sure we'll need to put in a fan and run it in reverse. Its prewired but the trick is getting up there. Scaffolding I guess.

Yes, I have to do the same for my foyer......

Status
Not open for further replies.