Have permit - Ready to install - Have questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff

Feeling the Heat
Jun 5, 2008
Southeastern MA
I've gotten my plans approved and I'll be starting my install this week with the contruction of my hearth pad.

I'm installing a Quadra-Fire Castile free-standing stove using all Simpson Duravent PelletVent Pro. The vent exits the stove into a "T" (with a cleanout on the bottom) and then straight up 14' through the ceiling, attic and roof with the vent cap just over 2' above the roof ridge (highest point). I've allowed for 6" clearance from the back of the ventpipe to the wall (only 3" required) and all clearances through the ceiling and roof are 3".

My ventpipe has the stainless steel inner liner and "Galvalume" (galvanized) outer pipe. I want to paint this pipe black before installation and want to know if any high-temp paint designed for either stoves or grills would work? I will wipe the surface down with naptha prior to painting to ensure a clean surface.

Being a first-time pellet stove user, the other questions I have are about the temperatures that I can expect at different locations on the stove and ventpipe. I know very well that the front glass will become VERY hot, but what about the top, sides, bottom and back of the stove during normal operation? I'm guessing that temperatures at the "T" will be quite hot, but what temperatures can I expect at different places along the vertical ventpipe? For example, would it be hot or warm to the touch 5' above the "T", or how about at the ceiling (9' ceiling height)? Will the heat carry all the way to the vent cap and be hot to the touch?

I'll be taking pics and post them as the installation progresses.

Steve

Stove paint is good to 1200 degrees so I would assume that the pipe is going to be much cooler. Pellet burns and much cooler than a wood burn.

I find the Hottest part of the pipe is at the elbow other then that you can put your hand on the pipe from the T up It is not burning hot to the point you can't hold your hand there, look at my avatar the cat has a home all winter long the back of the stove is not hot at all. My pipe is painted black with stove paint I scuffed it with 320 grit paper dusted a few coats, then a nice finish coat when everything was dry. Clean it with naptha to remove any oils before painting.

Only the front of the stove will be hot. The top, back, and sides are touchable when the stove is burning. The front? well not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.