Have Tarm... Turn off oil boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
This is a " In the future question for my setup" . I have Tarm 40 in series with oil boiler. If i set up storage... and don't want my oil boiler to use oil EVER... how do I do that? I mean the controls are from the oil boiler right? So it automatically kicks in. What if I don't want it to kick in? What are the dangers if I do this?

Birdman said:
This is a " In the future question for my setup" . I have Tarm 40 in series with oil boiler. If i set up storage... and don't want my oil boiler to use oil EVER... how do I do that? I mean the controls are from the oil boiler right? So it automatically kicks in. What if I don't want it to kick in? What are the dangers if I do this?

There are several ways to do this. If the units are in parallel so that hot water from the oil boiler does NOT go through the wood boiler, then the easiest approach is to install an aquastat on the wood boiler outlet and use the aquastat contacts to interrupt the low voltage demand signal that goes to the boiler controller. That demand signal comes either from thermostats, zone valve limit switches, or your circulator control box.

Turn the switch off to the oil boiler? Then if you go away for an extended period of time, turn back on. I'm sure there may be something wrong with this idea. if plumbed right. oil boiler should not heat tank.

If you just shut the oil boiler switch off, you will probably also kill the power to the circulator pumps. If you just want the burner not to kick on, you could disconnect (or splice in a switch) the hot wire that goes to the relay that turns on the burner. This way everything is powered up except the burner.......no oil use. Assuming you are in series(as you said), you realize the water will be passing through the OB, even though the burner is not going on.

I just installed a switch on my oil boiler burner reset switch box. Its a low voltage switch. All the heating controls work except the burner when the switch is turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.