ylomnstr Posted By ylomnstr, Apr 9, 2018 at 11:49 AM

1. ylomnstr

ylomnstr
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 28, 2008
    Loc:
    Staatsburg, NY
    My father in law just bought a new pellet stove and the dealer told him that he can burn hay pellets in there. Anyone ever do that? Just wondering if that's a cheaper option.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Manly

Manly
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 8, 2017
    Loc:
    CT
    What the hay, it's worth a try.

3. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Sound like a fantastic idea. They have to be cheaper then wood pellets. Grass is pretty cheap!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
  5. railfanron

railfanron
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 2, 2013
    Loc:
    Perry MI
    Interesting. If this took off farmers could make and sell the product right on the farm to local burners. This would take out a large portion of the trucking expense. At 24 tons a load and trucking it 125 miles from the plant to the store that's a large part of the cost of the pellets I buy.
    Ron

6. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    This is really cool. I have 20-25 acres that we really just give to a farmer to let him do whatever he wants with it. I'd love to rotate hay for home heat. Need to look into this more.

7. bags

bags
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2014
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Makes sense. I'll burn anything to stay warm cheaper. Sounds like it is one guy now and one specific area though but I know hay grows like crazy around here. Mainly used for cattle.

8. Ssyko

Ssyko
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 6, 2017
    Loc:
    Lorraine NY
    Hay is great resource. Its the cost of making pellets out of it thats tough. I am in the process of aquiring a mill from michigan that goes on the pto of the tractor. I have 641 acres, 420 of it is hay. At about a hundred pounds per hour it will take all summer to make enough for the season for my son and I. Ill let everyone know how i make out when all the parts and pieces come together.

Highbeam, tlc1976 and bags like this.