HD-Special Sale for LED bulbs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisu

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2010
Chittenden, VT
Reactions: semipro
Not too likely to help anyone, but over the weekend by son-in-law spotted a local HD selling for $4.97 Cree 60w equivalent, 800 lumen, 9.5w, 2700k, dimmable, A19 LED. I immediately checked online and not available there. He bought 10 for me, plus a bunch for himself. My utility has a $3/bulb rebate, so net cost was $2 each.

How timely, I just got another HD special for today for some Phillips LED bulbs:
http://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy...6979-_-sbotd_cta&et_rid=41286148#.U2uBmFcm31w
Prices are not as good as above but we got some of the BR30 two years ago (power utility special) and flat out love them. Huge improvement over the CFL BR30s we had in there before.

Now I am kicking myself for stocking up on CFLs when the utility was selling them with a rebate. It will probably take me years before I can mostly switch to LEDs (unless I just want to write off the CFLs which I am not inclined to do). I replaced the ones that we turn on and off often to benefit from the immediate light of the LEDs and will just live with the CFLs in the other locations. Oh my, another example where being cheap can backfire.

Reactions: Highbeam
I too have a box of CFL BR30 (can lights) that I paid too much for and hate but refuse to trash. The LED version is awesome.

I have about 8 CFLs PAR 30s in stock, but I don't mind. They are very energy efficient and 4 of them were free from the Power company. The others were very cheap from Home Depot. I will use them for the next decade and be happy. By then LEDs should be real cheap too.

Last edited:
I have about 8 CFLs PAR 30s, but I don't mind. They are very energy efficient and 4 of them were free from the Power company. The others were very cheap from Home Depot. I will use them for the next decade and be happy. By then LEDs should be real cheap too.

How long do they need to reach close to full brightness? The 4 BR30 we had in the kitchen took easily half a minute before being really bright. The first 10 seconds you were literally working in the twilight. Those from CFLs that were advertised as "instant-bright". I replaced two of them with the Phillips' LEDs. A difference light night and day (pun intended). ;)

30 seconds is nothing. We only have the CFLs in locations that once the lights are turned on, they stay on for hours. And with 6 lights being turned on at once, there is plenty of light for those 30 seconds of increasing brightness. Not a problem.

Last edited:
Not much power savings with these as the equiv CFL bulb only uses about 13 watts vs 10.5 for these but they do get good reviews and i like the fact that most of these lights run cool. Some have transformers that get hot.

The Crees do run cool. I also tried another kind once, and was surprised how hot it got. I retrofitted my can lights in the kitchen with led replacements and they look better with the light turned off as well as on.

The Crees are also the only omnidirectional A19 LED bulb on the market as far as I've seen. Most of the A19 bulbs are not omnidirectional in the way that traditional incandescents are. Cree makes their A19 bulbs in the 5000K flavor also which is nice when you want more of a white rather than yellow hue. Cree also has a 75Watt eqivelant 1100 Lumen A19 available at HD but it's $16. I'm waiting until they come down a bit.

Need me some education on that. The non-Cree Sunsun A19 bulbs I just bought are round globes just like incandescent bulbs and toss light in all directions?

Cree makes their A19 bulbs in the 5000K flavor also which is nice when you want more of a white rather than yellow hue. .
I like the yellowish hue better than the stark white cold light. It mimics the sun and natural light more closely. WIfe got some of those cold white light CFLs and i just hated them, made the house look like an operating room.

Reactions: Grisu
I like the yellowish hue better than the stark white cold light. It mimics the sun and natural light more closely. WIfe got some of those cold white light CFLs and i just hated them, made the house look like an operating room.

I like warm light too, but if you look closely (like natural light coming a window, next to a lamp) you will see that sunlight is actually quite 'blue' compared to incandescent. Those awful bulbs were usually labelled 'daylight', very annoying marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.