Headlamps are Handy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Man, I hate how early it's getting dark now.
I discovered headlamps a few years ago, but in case others haven't, they're battery powered led (now) lights on straps that you wear on your head.
They really help you do outside stuff in the dark with both hands free.
I put in a raised flower bed last night in the drizzle.

Your a mad man! lol

Hi

I really like them also. They're very handy and pretty easy on batteries. I did learn that I need more light to do finer work. Stacking and hauling were fine, but mechanical work I was missing things (think saftey) that I couldn't see in the shadows. Now I also use an inexpensice 500W Work Light to light the area.

ATB,
Mike

Amen - 1001 uses! Had one on just last night unloading a pile of 2x4s and plywood from the truck. The brightest ones are 3+watts of power and have a focused beam for distance and some LEDs for general flood light, too.

Were talking about the ones you put on your head? I would like opinions on which is the better to buy. I have been thinking about getting one after seeing them on tv with some guys goose hunting and putting their decoys out with them on. Don't hunt anymore as I would rather watch wildlife, but need to see when one gets old. ;-P

Shipper

Depends a lot on what the ultimate use is. I have a couple cheap Brinkmann 1 watters from walmart. It uses 3 AAA batteries and provides a couple hours of decent light for general tasks. It's really light weight - wife goes running with one sometimes and i usually strap one on for biking or general work around the house. But the light output is relatively low and the batteries don't last long. I also have a couple of older Princeton Tech 3 watt lights. They use 4 AA batteries which are located on the headband. These put out substantially more light, but the batteries can get a bit heavy as they are strapped to your head. It's not a great feeling to go running/biking with a 4 pack of AA's thumping you in the back of the head. In either case, lithium batteries lighten the load and give substantially more lifetime, but are also more expensive.

The 'big boys' can do 130-150 lumens or more (3+ watts) if you need a lotta light. I'd probably search for one which has the batteries in a belt pack for this range. If they strap to your head, you either have small batteries which limit lifetime or heavy big batteries which strain the neck during long periods wearing the light.

Sadly, rechargeable batteries don't seem to pair well with these lights - NiCd or NiMH batteries are 1.2v/cell instead of the alkaline 1.5v - so they drop the voltage anywhere from .6 to .8v compared to alkaline - which means notably lower light output. I used to have some 'rechargeable alkaline' batteries which would do the full 1.5v though most of them have died and I haven't looked to see if replacements are still available. If you plan on heavy use, rechargeable alkaline batteries might be an option. For extreme use, I would probably go with the lithium batts.

I never thought of getting one. Sounds like it could be handy for grabbing wood in the dark. Thanks for posting.

My son swears by them...must have at lest 3 different pair. He's a grinder...me I go inside when it's dark.

I have had several for years. one in every vehicle, by front and back door, etc. all of our field crews use them in pretty rough applicatons.
REI or similar mountaineering or camping on line places have wide variety. REI has some comparison and tech info. www.rei.com

There are also 'caplights' that use 3 tiny LED, (3) AAA IIRC, and clip under the brim of a baseball cap. I use those when running out for simple tasks or car repairs, etc. use them as a flashlight, or clip onto the hat for hands free. About $10. got mine at a gun show or outdoor show of some kind.

It is amazing how little light makes gross tasks easy, hauling or toting or fetching........

kcj

Headlamps are the best thing since sliced bread. We originally got ours for camping and now use them for everything. Was very helpful last winter when we lost power for 8 days. I have a couple of cheap ones from HF that just cost a couple of buck that I keep in the cars and for my daughter to use. The ones we got for camping are made by Black Diamond. We have the ones with the strap that goes over the head to stop them from sliding down and have the battery pack at the back of your head. Very comfortable except if you are resting your head on something. I also use the black diamond ones for getting firewood during the winter. Seeing that it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home the headlamps were very helpful last winter.

cozy heat said:
The 'big boys' can do 130-150 lumens or more (3+ watts) if you need a lotta light.

This is the newer version of the one I use mountain biking...900 lumens but has a low beam to conserve power.

http://niterider.com/prod_slickrock.shtml

A large rechargeable battery goes in your pack.

I've been using them for years... Back when I first started, in the late 70's I was a deckhand on a Mississippi River tug and used a flashlight battery powered unit that ran off a 6v lantern battery - I made a holder out of an old glove that I would tie to my life vest... Really good when building tow and doing other such tasks that needed both hands and being able to see what you were doing.

I have since moved on and now use several different lights, most of which are multi-LED jobs that run off three AAA batteries, and give me several hours of light per set. I use them for everything from getting wood and other outdoor tasks to climbing under the desks when I need to futz with the computer wiring. A couple of my lights have both LED's and a krypton mag-light style bulb - I find the mag-light bulb doesn't put out any more light than the LED's do, and it eats batteries several times as fast. Any future lights that I purchase will be LED only.

Gooserider

I use them all the time at work (aircraft mechanic) I find the bigger heavier ones give me a headache so I have found the best to be the energizer with the two white and one red led, they have the best detents to lock the light at the angle you want it at, and are not to bulky or heavy. HD now only carries Energizer with 3white and one red I got one (I always have spares) and found it is great as well. The red light is good for taxing airplanes in the dark, it lets me find the switches and guages without ruining my vision out the windshield.
I also have a 3w led headlamp that I laced the straps through the holes in my bike helmet for night riding, if you shine a light at a car they will see you!
Headlamps are also what I use at night to clean, fill, and check on my OPB, having both hands free and a light where I want it is the best.

I originally purchased one for nite time snowshoe treks. Now the possibilities are endless. Sierra trading post always has something you can use.

KC

I might still have one somewhere that I used to wear for X-country skiing at night before they had lighted trails. Mostly I just hold a flashlight in my teeth if the need for hands-free light arises. For detail work at my bench, I have a magnifier light.

Well after all the good recommendations I see here think I'll get one of the unobtrusive visor clip on ones to try out.

I almost got one of those hats with the lights in the visor (sears sells them in the tool department) but half the time I need a head light I am upside down or in so tight a space that the visor will get in the way.

For night time snow activity, I found that a headlight with more than one bright red LED made the snow easier to see than white LED or xenon bulbs do.

savageactor7 said:
Well after all the good recommendations I see here think I'll get one of the unobtrusive visor clip on ones to try out.

I've looked at the visor lights a few times, and the only thing I'd be wary of is looking at what kind of battery they take... Most of the ones I've seen use the little coin style hearing aid batteries, which are nice and compact, but tend to be fairly short lived, and expensive to replace... I try to make it a rule to avoid anything that needs a battery of that sort, and stick with stuff that uses the standard AAA, AA, etc. size alkaline batteries - easier to find replacements for, and a lot less expensive.

Gooserider

I've used them since they were invented. In fact, I became so enamored with the concept that I paid a Swedish plastic surgeon to implant LED's in my forehead, with a battery pack conveniently located in the small of my back. I've since had him modify/expand the capability of the system, so that now it's voice activated and I can focus the light wherever I want it. I can also filter it, or even switch it into IR mode, so I can see in the dark. Rick

there should be enough voltage in your brain to power an LED, I've seen where the voltage was enough to run a toy electric train, then you wouldn't need the battery in your back anymore, as soon as the technology is there I want one in my forehead, it would be the best since sliced bread!

I'm thinking of getting stem cells from an owl implanted into my eyeballs to give me night vision.

You'll need some work on your neck. Owls' eyes are fixed in their sockets. Rick

LOL, you guy's are pretty funny...Goose that's good advise on avoiding those flat batteries, thanks.

My headlamps are still going strong after almost 2 years..........handiest thing I ever used I think.

Update on post below, Princetontec beat out Petzl because of battery compartment defect. I now own 3 Princetontec quads.

3 settings with a blink mode to save power.........also has a red led to let you know batteries are getting low........PTQ are simply the best I have ever seen and used.

Opinion, do not get a long range focused beam, it works great for distance but not good for seeing directly in front of your feet.........holes are deep after dark !

Quads shine all around even at your feet.

My original post FEB 08, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/15130/

Robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.