Hearth Extension for Basement Wood-burning fireplace (Brick & mortar)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Walter4023

Apr 28, 2022
Ohio
Hi,

Brand new here and had a few questions (I think i've gathered most of the answers but want to confirm).

Background - we currently have a brick fireplace in our basement with a brick hearth and extension. We are having issues with water so need to rip out of the hearth for water proofing. Plan is to recover the area with concrete. I don't have any issues with a concrete floor inside the fireplace but want to re-add the brick extension (new one) once the work is complete. Likely to use a faux wood flooring for the main area outside of the hearth extension.

Questions:
1) We have bunch of brick leftover from our patio project (more than enough to cover the job). It is actual brick and not concrete pavers. I assume these are fine for the hearth extension? Based on what I've seen, the answer is yes?

2) What mortar/thin set do I need to lay the brick? Regular thin-set and regular mortar between the joints? I believe the answer is yes but not 100% sure due to the heat from the fireplace.

3) Anything else I need to consider?

Note - I understand the requirements of the dimensions of the hearth extension based on what I've read so far.

Thanks for your help!