Hearth idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sg566

Jan 25, 2018
New Glasgow
I’ve been debating a hearth for my wood stove. I only need spark protection so r value isn’t required according to the manufacturer (although I have wood floors underneath so anyone with advice chime in...)

No way am I paying 750 bucks for a manufactured hearth. I’ve looked at videos on how to make them using plywood and forums here that’s super helpful. I’ve also considered black stove board.

Plywood got kinda expensive this year (nearly 50 clams just for the piece of ply) stove board isn’t bad but... always looking for ideas.

But I have an idea I wanted to run by... I’m wondering about using sheet metal. I’m thinking what if I took sheet metal and put corners in it to serve as a lip and measured to size dropped in ceramic tile (or stone). It would then just be held in by the sheet metal no grout or anything cause I know it would crack. Just basically make a shallow box out of sheet metal and fit in the tiles to size.

Anyone have thoughts on this or try anything similar?

if you only need ember protection look at sheet metal, just get it cut to size and have the edge rolled so you don't slice yourself. no need for the tile at all

My stove only required ember protection, so I went to a metal supply and had them cut 1/8" sheet steel to size... cold roll. Took it to a friend who does metal fab and we rounded the front corners and smoothed/rolled all edges. Then I used an acid etch solution to age and darken the steel to near black. A few good coats of clear coat and it looks great. Mine just sits on top of the floor.

My stove only required ember protection, so I went to a metal supply and had them cut 1/8" sheet steel to size... cold roll. Took it to a friend who does metal fab and we rounded the front corners and smoothed/rolled all edges. Then I used an acid etch solution to age and darken the steel to near black. A few good coats of clear coat and it looks great. Mine just sits on top of the floor.

Not that I need a hearth, but I would love to see a photo of this as it sounds intriguing.

Sounds like a shallow tile pan. I have seen a similar design used under house plants.

Not that I need a hearth, but I would love to see a photo of this as it sounds intriguing.
metal1.jpg metal2.jpg

Don't want to derail Sg566's thread... I'll try to be brief.
I used cold rolled 1/8" steel sheet purchased and cut to size at a local Industrial Metal Supply. Like I said, a friend with a metal fab shop radiused the front corners and softened all edges. At this point the steel looks a bit raw and nothing like you might want in your living room. Just boring old blue/gray metal.
I used a metal stain product by Sculpt Nouveau, called Black Magic, which was applied after cleaning/degreasing the hearth plate. The process is a bit daunting and requires proper eye, skin, and respiratory protection. There are vids on YouTube by the company showing proper steps and various techniques.

Last edited:
Reactions: KennyK
I’m pricing out steel tomorrow. Best friend is a metal fabricator and he’s really excited about doing this. See how much the metal is going to run but liking the idea.

He’s thinking of Making a pattern on the outside and attaching it down the road too. If it gets done I’ll post it here. Gotta see what metal costs right now and decide.

It’s the Napoleon 1400l it’s 6” from the back wall and 10 from the side
Wow. That's pretty amazing.

Just for chuckles I looked up clearances for mine with double wall pipe and it calls for 15 on the sides and 5 in the back but I'd be afraid to put it that close. I know the block wall with the brick facing gets really warm, I could only imagine how warm drywall and framing would get.

Reactions: Mark8
IMG_1636.JPG
Just wanted to share my hearth pad install if you're looking for other ideas.

I laid one piece of cement board directly on the hardwood, with porcelain tile (bought on clearance) floating on top. No grout or mortar, and just butt the tile against each other. I shaped the trim pieces from 2x4s and stained them. Routed out the top edge to slide over the tile, and then threw a couple trim screws through them into the floor to "lock" it all down. Tile doesn't shift st all, looks nice and I only put about $70 (Canadian) into it.

If you're interested I can post a picture of the profile of the trim I built. It was easy to do. One pass with a router to cut the groove that slides over the tile, and one cut on the table saw to cut the slope.

Good luck with your own hearth install.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 222503

I laid one piece of cement board directly on the hardwood, with porcelain tile (bought on clearance) floating on top. No grout or mortar, and just butt the tile against each other. I shaped the trim pieces from 2x4s and stained them. Routed out the top edge to slide over the tile, and then threw a couple trim screws through them into the floor to "lock" it all down. Tile doesn't shift st all, looks nice and I only put about $70 (Canadian) into it.

If you're interested I can post a picture of the profile of the trim I built. It was easy to do. One pass with a router to cut the groove that slides over the tile, and one cut on the table saw to cut the slope.

That’s pretty clean too. Did you have any trouble getting it WETT certified? Is the cement board considered a non combustible material?

Reactions: Alexander L
View attachment 222503

I really like the look of this . . . looks sharp and quite clean looking.

Firefighter jake: thanks very much. Happy with how it turned out.

Sg566: I had the stove professionally installed and I think you're correct; the cement board is the ember protection. The tile doesn't technically count because it's not one continuous surface (no grout). But no WETT certification issues.