hearth pad options on painted concrete slab?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf_mon

Hearth Supporter
Aug 16, 2009
northern michigan
I am in the process of inserting a jotul 500 oslo n a home on a slab. The laminate flooring is about 1/2 inch and underneath the slab has been painted/covered. I was hoping to easily lay decorative tile/slate directly on the slab and somewhat flush with the flooring but the painted concrete has taken me back a bit. I am considering just laying the stove right on the slab, but it will sit lower than the floor and the current state is not pleasing. Any suggestions on building a hearth pad on top of painted concrete without grinding the paint off??? I am willing to raise the hearth and have considered making forms and pouring concrete and then thinsetting tile/slate... most of all I don't want to spend too much $ or time, but I would like a decent looking hearth...

Is this epoxy paint? If not, there are strippers that should take the paint off pretty quickly in the hearth area. Then you should be able to tile it. Though grinding a 4 x 4 area shouldn't take too long if that's what it takes.

So Madison, you set your hearth on top of the tile? it looks great...as far as my slab goes, it has some form of epoxy on it...I would love to not have to deal with solvents or a grinder and I am hoping for insight as to some form of bonding agent that I can use to adhere the tiles or slate...for a non foot traffic tile job it seems that something could be used to do the job...wolfman

BeGreen, yes, it seems to be an epoxy. I have a 2 and a 4 year old and want to avoid the grinder mess or the solvent quarantine needed for those paths...any ideas on adhering to the epoxy? or covering the epoxy with a substance that will adhere to thinset? wolfman

Hi Wolf Mom,

If you check with a tile store (not a big box) they can lead you in the right direction, I would lean toward a thinset with an acrylic add mixture to help with the bond to the "slippery" surface of the epoxy. As long as the paint is well adhered (read stuck) it will work out fine. Keep us posted.

Garett

ps I'm in Northern Michigan too.

thanks for the optimism g-rott...I did check with some local pros,I am in Petoskey and brick and block were really helpful...do you think I should at least run a belt sander a little to rough it up? wolfman

Yes. Rough it up then tile it. It will be fine.

wolf_mon said:
So Madison, you set your hearth on top of the tile? it looks great...as far as my slab goes, it has some form of epoxy on it...I would love to not have to deal with solvents or a grinder and I am hoping for insight as to some form of bonding agent that I can use to adhere the tiles or slate...for a non foot traffic tile job it seems that something could be used to do the job...wolfman

wolfman, yes mortared directly onto the tile. The radiator cover was removed, and i busted the aluminum fins off the copper pipe and wrapped it with foam insulation. I got extremely lucky, I took a lot of time with the layout, estimating clearances etc. The stove and hearth install actually looks like what I originally imagined...

Status
Not open for further replies.