Hearth pad over floor vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
Hey all - I'm having a wood stove installed shortly, and I'm going with a "slap on the floor" hearth pad w/ a riser. Depending on where exactly the pad needs to sit where the stove can meet the clearances, the hearth may cover an HVAC floor vent. I don't really think it will be an issue, air will just diverted to the next vent which will probably push more air out harder, yes? Just wanted to get some opinions.

You'll want to have the vent disconnected and capped at the trunk, the hearth pad over the top of the vent has the potential to create a whistle noise from air trying to escape when the hvac is running.

I built my hearth up so I could duct the vent out the front of the riser.

I put stuff over my vents if im burning wood. But I have always thought that if you only cover one, its no big deal. As far as the whistle....never know,,,sorry I dont have more info.

Is this a supply or return vent?

This will be a permanent change. Relocate the vent to maintain system balance.

Reactions: NHWS
I use a magnetic vent cover to cover the vent in my stove room. For my HVAC system, it just pushes more air to the rest of the house. I don’t want to permanently close it because I need it for the air conditioning in the summer.

Is this a supply or return vent?

This will be a permanent change. Relocate the vent to maintain system balance.
It's a supply vent. The 4'' x 8'' or something like that on the floor. Does't seem like a big deal to lay something over it before the hearth pad goes over it. People close off vents in rooms all the time. The air will blow a little harder out the next closest vent or two I suppose.

Yup, people imbalance systems all the time. Keeps the mechanics in business when they go too far.

I built my pad up with an overhang, otherwise my hearth build would've covered the entire supply vent and it would've been a lot of work to do any re-ducting in the ceiling of my basement. I capped half the vent so it's still functional. We also predominantly use our wood stove for heat.