Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ukcat

Mar 26, 2024
England
Hi All hoping someone here might be able to advise. So I'm currently preparing my fireplace and hearth for a inset Stove to be fitted I have had to carry out a lot more work than originally planned but am slowly getting there (I think) so I am just about to pour my new concrete hearth which i will screed off level with my floorboards first pic shows current situation before I pour the hearth and second shows roughly how the hearth will be when poured. I then plan to use concrete blocks to make the opening smaller to accept the insert. I will then tile on top of the concrete to form my hearth which will raise the height of the hearth to approx 18mm above floor level. My fitter has asked if I can get the area inside the recess as flat and level as possible so the stove sits properly. Wondered what was best to put into the recess. Should I just tile all the way back or some other method

IMG_20240324_091417_196.jpg IMG_20240116_130847_313.jpg

Tile all the way back would be fine.

Some reinforcing steel (WWM) and some fibre in the concrete would be beneficial, although not totally necessary, imo.

Tip for strong concrete and a good bond between strata; weldbond glue in the mix water and brushed on and allowed to dry between strata. See weldbond's site for info. Just float it, don't trowel it to give the thinset maximum "teeth".

Oh, WWM means welded wire mesh.

And your stove's bottom clearance to combustibles has to be adhered to. Your new floor is not combustible, but what's under that?, as heat transmission through solid concrete is quite high.

Your clearances should be analyzed before you proceed from here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Ok so I have added a couple more pics to show how it is now. It's ready for the concrete to be poured in.. therr is a damp membrane approx 250mm below what will be the finished level and below this the hearth extends about sfurthet 1m down to ground under the floor

IMG_20240306_194151_114.jpgIMG_20240318_170137_026.jpgIMG_20240324_091417_196.jpg