Hearthstone 1 adjustable damper stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HenryH

Hello,
The adjustable damper located above the front doors inside the Hearthstone 1 and controlled by the handle on the side of the stove is stuck in the closed position. I can raise it by the handle, but it will not flip to the open position, as it had previously done. Can someone explain how to remedy this? Do I need to take the mechanism apart? I would appreciate and suggestions.
Thanks, Hank

not sure if it is the same as my hearthstone 2 if it is i would try some good penetrating oil not wd40 that is not a penetrating oil soak it let it sit 15 minutes soak it again then try it. if that doesn't work it might be warped. also see if the damper is stuck to the baffle if so spray that too.

The damper rod is most likely warped. As it warps, it pulls away from the damper flap. The now curved rod cannot rotate freely, as its supposed to. Your top door steel may be warped, and interfering as well. Replacing is the only option at this point. If the damper bushing is bad, replace that at the same time. You can save some money and buy the HI damper retro fit kit. It comes will all of those components.

Reactions: begreen