Heat and Glo Escape I 30lp have pilot but main flame not coming on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

deerock

Sep 24, 2020
Farmingdale NY
Hi Folks,

I am new to this site and thank you in advance for all your help. Tried to start up my Escape yesterday with my RC 300 remote. Nothing happened. Checked propane..all ok and valves open. Did control module reset..ok. Getting spark but no pilot. Unplugged and took glass off. Cleaned orifice on pilot, plugged in tried to start again and I smelled propane. Used a lighter and pilot started right up. But main flame still not coming on. Hoping someone could give some tips.

Have you tried cleaning the flame rectification rod?
It's the long rod encapsulated in the pilot flame.
When was the last time you used the unit?

Have you tried cleaning the flame rectification rod?
It's the long rod encapsulated in the pilot flame.
When was the last time you used the unit?
In May when I got a new propane supplier it fired up. I used steel wool and cleaned off the long rod that extends to the main burner. Tried again. Pilot fine. No main burner. I didn’t go crazy with the steel wool though. In the past the pilot would light and then when the main burner finally ignited I would get a pretty large whoosh as the propane ignited.

There are a couple of things you can try...
Get a screwdriver with a plastic handle & give the side of the
gas valve a sharp rap. Don't try to MASH it...
It may be a stuck regulator head.
If that doesn't work, there may be a spider's nest in the
gas line behind the burner orifice. Unfortunately, you
have to remove EVERYTHING in the fire box to access that orifice.
So I would try rapping the gas valve first...

I don't believe so. Take the front off & see if you can see it.
The gas valve should be located on the left side of the unit,
under the firebox.

You will have to pull the burner. That means removing everything in the fire box." You will need a 1/4" magnetic hex head socket for your screw gun. I would take a picture of every step you take, so you will have a reassembly guide. Another tip: get yourself a cupcake pan for all the screws & any other small items you remove. Once you get the burner out, you will see the burner orifice. It's a small brass fitting that can be removed with a 3/8 box wrench or socket. Once that is removed, stick a pipe cleaner or Q-tip into the tube behind the orifice & swish it around & see if there is a small white spider web on it... Then reassemble, reversing all the steps. Good luck. Check back or message me if you get stuck.