heat exchanger disconnects?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis

Burning Hunk
Dec 6, 2012
northern michigan
Wondering what you guys think about how I should go about hooking my 1 1/4'' pex to my water to air heat exchanger (which is copper). Thinking that I should hook it up in a way that if i ever have to remove the heat exchanger i can just disconnect the lines. So I was thinking that there should be a valve on each side of the heat exchanger, and then some way to disconnect it. Do they make a fitting of some sort that i can use? And do you guys think that it is even necessary to do that?

More initial install cost but the easiest would be to use union fittings and isolation valves on any componet that may require isolation and removal for maintenance & cleaning. Plate HX, water to air HX, DHW heater (indirect or standard tank type), etc.

There's nothing more frustrating than having to drain an entire system just to clean / flush / replace one individual componet.

I got my water to air HX plumbed with two valves so that I can just cut the pex if I ever need to. Replacing pex is cheaper than a couple of unions. Also, I have two tee's right before the two valves that connect the supply and returns lines with another valve so that I can turn off flow to the HX and allow flow throught the rest of the system. This allows me to run my DHW if I want to and use the air conditioner at the same time without heat going to the HX. But ...I just looked at your location and perhaps you don't even have AC in northern MI

A nice clean way to do that is with tankless water heater valves. They combine a shut off, union, and purge cocks in one ssembly. Plenty brands and prices to chose from.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-08-10 at 7.31.49 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-08-10 at 7.31.49 AM.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.