heat exchanger question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EDYS68

Hearth Supporter
Jul 25, 2009
CENTRAL ILL.
Im looking for some advise as of rather i need a expansion tank on the radiant floor side of a 70 plate heat exchanger, also i need help wiring my system, i have a biomass 60 and a gas boiler piped parrelell and 4 zones of radiant heat. the boilers and the zones are seperated by a plate heat ex, i purchased a taco pump zone control box, and the biomass boiler has a 12v circut for a fossil fueled boiler, should i just hook the two boilers together? any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest reading thru the sticky on "primary and secondary piping systems" this will answer alot of questions and give you the chance to draw out your current system and the proposed addition to post and ask questions about. There are some folks with alot of experience in your application that are able to help.
I have only one boiler so I cannot answer to best design. That design would even determine if you need the second expansion tank.

I'd agree - it would really help to have a drawing of your current system - I was not really following what you were saying, but pictures are worth many Kwords..

In answer to your question about needing an expansion tank - ANY closed system needs expansion. For any point in your system, you MUST be able to draw a line to either open air, or an expansion tank without going through any valves that can be closed (except possibly a service valve on the Expansion tank) You can go through a pump, but not valves or between the two sides of a heat exchanger. If you can't do that you need to add an expansion tank, and a pressure relief valve.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.