Heat loss from outdoor wood boiler itself, not lineset

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Indianawood

Nov 28, 2019
Northern Indiana
With so much emphasis on insulating the lineset so well it leaves me wondering why there isn't more discussion on the boiler itself? It would seem that a 180 degree boiler sitting in 20 degree temps could lose significant temperature.
How much heat is being lost?

Most OWB's are pretty well insulated from the factory...not saying some wouldn't benefit from more though...a lot of guys claim snow will lay on top theirs...

I agree, they're insulated pretty good and the piping has much more surface area to lose heat.

As long as it remains dry, as in completely dry, any type of insulated piping will do a reasonable job of retaining heat. It's when the insulation gets waterlogged that issues arise. The boiler, being above ground, does not have this issue and that's why you don't read much on it.

As long as it remains dry, as in completely dry, any type of insulated piping will do a reasonable job of retaining heat. It's when the insulation gets waterlogged that issues arise. The boiler, being above ground, does not have this issue and that's why you don't read much on it.

My boiler building is about 20'x26'
R28 insulation in the roof R 20 in the walls.
Heat loss from the boiler,piping and tanks keep it very warm,especially when -40 hits.At the end of charging storage on a -40C day the inside temp of the boiler building gets close to +35C when the boiler is shut down