Heatilator Model CD4236IR-C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shumax

Nov 21, 2022
Wooster, Ohio
This unit is in our home, which is about 8 years old. It's installed with a wall switch and has worked well until now.

I have gas as the pilot light is on. When I turn the switch on, I can hear it 'clicking' as it tries to start. I looked near the pilot light and I can 'see' the sparking occur, too. Every once in a while, it will start and run for a bit, but the flame is weak. It will run for a bit and then shut off and then click for a bit and come back on. That cycle will occur 2-3 times within a 3-5min. period and then it stops, completely. It won't start again. I have to wait an hour, or more, and try it again. During this time, the pilot light stays on; it will 'click' trying to light and I can see the spark - but, it will not light. I did reset the control module with no impact.

I'm mechanically inclined; just not sure where to start. I thought it might not be getting enough gas, but my furnace and water heater are working fine. I looked at the gas line coming to this unit and it appears fine - no kinks, that I can see, etc.

Hate to call someone in as I am sure I can figure it out with some direction. Thanks!

Sounds like you need a new thermopile, but I
can't be sure without seeing the pilot assembly.
Can you take a pic & post it?

Well, I just took it apart and used some steel wool to clean up the prongs on the ignitor - I think that's what it was? I also cleaned out the jets with some compressed air. Put it back together and it seems to be working now...!

Reactions: Lennox65
Shumax

I have the same model as you. When I turn it on, it beeps and then the pilot light comes on as normal with a strong blue flame. However the main burner never lights anymore. Is this similar to the issue you had?