Heatmax 2, OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gbawol42

Burning Hunk
Dec 16, 2018
Northern Michigan
I am wanting to install an OAK for my heatmax 2 to see if it makes any difference. I am feeling like I am taking to much air from my house and its causing my windows and doors to leak cold air in..

My question is where do you guys think I should have it sitting by the furnace? I was thinking the front, but I'm not sure.

The manual just states : New combustion air can be brought into a pipe located within approximately 12" (305 mm) of the unit. If the pipe is too close to the furnace, it may interfere with its operation.

What do you guys think, and or what have you done?

This is what I did to supply makeup air. I have since put the very end in a 5 gallon bucket as well to make the cold air "spill out" of the bucket. The end pointing down provides makeup to the basement and the duct heading to the left is going to my BD damper to provide outside air to that as well.

The ending point at the floor is probably 3' from my primary air intake of the furnace.

DSC00529.jpg

Reactions: sloeffle
I am wanting to install an OAK for my heatmax 2 to see if it makes any difference. I am feeling like I am taking to much air from my house and its causing my windows and doors to leak cold air in..

My question is where do you guys think I should have it sitting by the furnace? I was thinking the front, but I'm not sure.

The manual just states : New combustion air can be brought into a pipe located within approximately 12" (305 mm) of the unit. If the pipe is too close to the furnace, it may interfere with its operation.

What do you guys think, and or what have you done?
Or look into installing a whole house Energy Recovery Ventilator (ERV). I added one a few years ago and it has helped bring in more fresh air without the negative side effects of just adding cold air.

Eric

Reactions: sloeffle
This is what I did to supply makeup air. I have since put the very end in a 5 gallon bucket as well to make the cold air "spill out" of the bucket. The end pointing down provides makeup to the basement and the duct heading to the left is going to my BD damper to provide outside air to that as well.

The ending point at the floor is probably 3' from my primary air intake of the furnace.

View attachment 267612

I forgot you had one set up to your BD damper as well, not a bad idea. I never thought of how much air that damper is sucking out.

I forgot you had one set up to your BD damper as well, not a bad idea. I never thought of how much air that damper is sucking out.

Lol I wouldn't try that with a heatmax or Tundra. That would be like inviting creosote village in the stack.

Lucky for the Heat Commander guys, in most cases won't need a BD.