Heatmor Plumbing advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Philips

Feb 3, 2020
Northern Ontario
Hello everyone, I need to advice with my heatmor 200 and the plumbing/piping. I have had the heatmor for 3 years and before that I had a homebuilt owb but the insurance company made me get rid of that.
Anyways time has come to build myself a 30x40 workshop and the heatmor sits in the way.

So I need to relocate the owb, currently the plan is to move it directly behind the the house, aprox 50-60 feet from the house due to insurance. The house is currently heated with in floor in the basement and a heat exchanger in the ductwork. I will also want to heat the workshop via infloor. I will be running new lines from the owb to the house. The work shop with sit to the left of the house aprox 30 feet away and about 80 feet from the owb.

Now with that said my question what one of the 2 options below should I do.
Option 1: run my main line from the owb to the house then to the workshop, back to the house then back to the owb. That would end up being between 80-90 feet of pipe each way.

Option 2: run 2 main lines one to the house one to the workshop for a total of 130-140 feet of pipe each way.

Now the workshop will only be kept at around 10-15c with the owb and I will have a propane heater when I am in there working.

Hopefully that all makes sense to you and tank you for any advice my can provide

I would pipe a main loop into the house through the hot water heat exchanger (if used).
Then before it returns to the Heatmor pump secondary loops off the main line (using close tees) to the hot air coil, to the basement floor, shop floor in that order. If the floors are in a slab (I'm assuming they are) they'd need to be on a mixing valve and separate pump anyway.

Just curious...
Is there any reason you wouldn't want the boiler inside your workshop?Add some storage while you are at it.

Reactions: mark cline
Heatmor probably isn't indoor rated.

I wired and plumbed a heatmoor for my brother not sure what model he has a heat exchanger in the house duct work and a heat exchanger in an air handler in a 40x95 shop we used 2 pumps one for each loop. I built a control board so the pumps can run continuously or set to automatic where the thermostat inside can start pump along with the blower.

I would run two main lines. I have four main lines coming off my Garn two to out buildings and two to my house. One of my house main lines is split and does double duty and it works pretty good until it gets real cold and the demand is high then it comes up a little short.