Hello all. damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer1989

Hearth Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
I am new to wood heat,and to this forum like to say hi to everyone. I have a question on dampers, I have currently purchased a United States stove asp 1100 and I am installing a double wall factory chimney from Lowes. Now will I need a stove pipe damper with this? I have seen other peoples stoves and they all had dampers in them. The chimney wiil not be run outside. The stove is not very big but neither is my house I didnt want to overheat. Does anyone have any exp with this stove? I bought it new on closeout for a little over 300 bucks I hope I gtot a good deal. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I don't know of any "asp 1100" made by U.S. Stove Company. What is it that you bought? Wood stove or furnace?

Welcome Boomer. Whether you need a damper or not will depend a lot on what sort of draft you expect from the flue system. If you have a really tall system which provides more than sufficient draft, then a flue damper may be in order. If your system is reasonably sized (let's say on the order of 12'-20') from flue collar to daylight, then you likely will not need a damper installed. You will need to get smart about proper installation of the flue system, which necessarily includes stovepipe (also called connector pipe, either single-wall or double-wall depending on required clearances) from the flue collar on the appliance up to the first penetration of the structure (ceiling, sounds like in your case). At that point, a transition must be made from stovepipe to Class A chimney pipe, through an appropriate support box, and the system remains Class A chimney for the rest of the run to daylight. It's crucial that you thoroughly understand and meet or exceed all the requirements for clearances from combustible materials around your stove (including beneath it) when you design your installation. Tell us more about the installation, including pics if you can. Rick

Start here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove

Hey thanks guys The stove is a APS 1100B USSC Pedestal plate wood stove. and thanks aot for the links man to the basics. Thats what I realy needed. About the setup Im going to have about 14' of chimney to be 3' above the peak of my house. Thats just chimney not including stove pipe. Using about 4' of stove pipe.

Try it without the damper. There's a good chance it will work fine without one. Most of the stoves you see with them built in are not EPA approved stoves.

Ditto what BG said. Doesn't sound to me like you'll need a stovepipe damper. Just make damned sure you understand all the required clearances, hearth pad insulative values and dimensions, and how the stovepipe/chimney system needs to be configured. Any questions, just bring them here and we'll steer you toward the answers. Rick

A damper cost about 12 dollars.
Put in in anyway.
Even if youy only use it on the coldest nights , its worth the 12 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.