Hello, I'm new here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

guylavoie

Nov 25, 2022
Laval, QC
Hello all. I'm already very familiar with forums, participating and reading on them for years. I have (too) many hobbies, and corresponding memberships on relevant forums. I just discovered this one a few days ago and have been browsing the various discussions. Seems interesting so I thought I'd join.

What brought me to finding this forum was from looking up information on wood stoves. I'm in Laval, QC, a suburb of Montreal. Last year our city adopted regulations similar to Montreal's regarding wood stoves, whereby existing stoves with maximum particle emissions of 7.5g /hr are grandfathered, and unrated (ie: older) stoves must cease to be used in 3 years from now. Any new stoves need to meet a rating of 2.5g /hr or less, which appears to be the new norm since 2020 from what I've been reading here. Montreal is stricter, with all stoves needing to meet the 2.5 g /hr norm. Well, my 38 year old Triumph stove certainly didn't meet the criteria, and if I was going to have to get a new one in 3 years, I figured I might as well get it now and enjoy it right away rather than in 3 years. So I shopped around and ended up getting a Drolet Escape 1800, which I was happy to see as being a familiar model and quite well regarded on this forum. They're made here in Quebec and I was surprised that they were known in the US. I've had it up and running for 5 days now and I'm absolutely delighted with it. Just the right size, looks good, and is a pleasure to light up and maintain. So that's my introduction.

One small question regarding the Escape 1800: does anyone know what the 3 small holes at the right end of the ash lip are for? They appear in the parts breakdown diagram so they're standard, but found no reference to them in the manual. Thanks.

Reactions: RomanW
Bienvenu Guy!

Those are just indicators of where your air control is at. Big circle means more air, little circle means less!
Hah, is that all? Well at least it tells you which way it goes. More useful would be an indication of the actual relative position it's currently at. I might add a couple of very discrete indicators (like small black stickers) at each end of the range of the control handle just to have a better idea. Thanks.

Reactions: RomanW