Hello! New member wants your 2 cents.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChasesAces

Aug 26, 2021
South Dakota
I am trying to decide on a pellet stove for a 1100 sq foot shop. I don't plan on heating it full time. I do my own installs, service and maintenance, I take care of my stuff. I'd like to settle on something by the end of September, so after looking for a couple months here's 3 options I'm thinking about.

1. A new stove, something in the $1000-1500 price range from a big box store, maybe like a PelPro PP60.

2. The dealer where I bought my Jotel gas stove last year has a couple 15 year old St Croix stoves that he's refurbed, deep clean and replaces the exhaust fans, says that's about all that ever fails if they're maintained properly. No igniters. I think he said they were Prescotts, but I was thinking the Auburn was the model in that range without the igniter. Asking $1200

3. My sons neighbor retired a 12 year old Golden Eagle Talon (same stove as a Breckwell Big E). Both companies are history. The stove operates as it should. All the serviceable components are pretty reasonably priced, the most expensive item is the board for $350-400. He wants $275 for the stove.

I'm open to suggestions as well but I'm not gonna spend 3-4K on a new pellet stove.

TIA and have a great day.

Reactions: Lmn1966
My nickels worth (inflation)
I would buy your neighbor's stove and refurbish it
Why because That's what I do buy cheap refurbish and resell
After it is cleaned checked and painted would sell here for 12 to 15 hundred
But Like I said just my nickels worth
OH and welcome to the forum

My nickels worth (inflation)
I would buy your neighbor's stove and refurbish it
Why because That's what I do buy cheap refurbish and resell
After it is cleaned checked and painted would sell here for 12 to 15 hundred
But Like I said just my nickels worth
OH and welcome to the forum
+1. A nickel ain't worth beans today...

Son's neighbor's. By the time you clean it, do some refurb and install it, you'll know it inside out. Even if you throw a bunch of parts at it, still cheaper than a big box store's stove. And if you run into trouble, someone on here will be able to help you. Lots of knowledgeable people cruise this forum. That's my dimes worth(to cover inflation). ;)

Hard to beat a Prescott for heating efficiency. Once you learn how to clean it, they run strong. Recommend setting 3 or higher verses idling them on 1 for several hours a day, keeps them cleaner this way. Auger bushings like lube every couple of years. Lube Versa-Grate once a season, igniters last a long time, exhaust and convection motors like a bit of lube seasonally too.

I've never replaced an igniter in 15 years... Don't have one. Besides, corn is a lot harder to ignite than pellets are.

For a shop I'd be tempted to try the cheaper Big E (Approximately 50K BTU). Very easy stove to use, clean and trouble shoot. Could always upgrade to something larger or more expensive the next year if you don't like it.

Reactions: ChasesAces
Do keep in mind that the venting pipe isn't a cheap date as well.

I have a St Croix Auburn and it is simple and burns well. I am like SidecarFlip with burning corn. Run about 200 bushels through mine per year and I have had no issues. Buddy of mine has one as well and he burns straight pellets and also is very happy with it as well. You have a lot of good options there.

Burning corn isn't for everyone. It takes some special considerations and added maintenance to work right and not every unit is corn capable.. However, like heating with coal, if the fuel is available and reasonably priced, corn is a very viable alternative fuel plus corn is a very renewable fuel source. One thing about field corn and that is the turn around time is about 1/100th of the time it takes for forest regrowth. Hard to beat that with any other biomass.

I know this is the pellet stove forum but how about ductless heat pump that you can use for cooling too?

I know this is the pellet stove forum but how about ductless heat pump that you can use for cooling too?
I can assure you that there will have a mini split for cooling, heating as well for days 30° & up. The pellet stove will do the heavy lifting in the winter.

Burning corn isn't for everyone. It takes some special considerations and added maintenance to work right and not every unit is corn capable.. However, like heating with coal, if the fuel is available and reasonably priced, corn is a very viable alternative fuel plus corn is a very renewable fuel source. One thing about field corn and that is the turn around time is about 1/100th of the time it takes for forest regrowth. Hard to beat that with any other biomass.
I've read that blending pellets and corn removes some of that additional maintenance, do you think that's true? For me the challenge is finding a seed corn dealer that can give away his unsold inventory rather than returning it.

I've read that blending pellets and corn removes some of that additional maintenance, do you think that's true? For me the challenge is finding a seed corn dealer that can give away his unsold inventory rather than returning it.
Blending pellets with corn mitigates the clinker issue but you still require a stove that is corn capable and most today aren't.

Far as your Jotul and a pellet stove, the venting are 2 entirely different types. Using a wood stove venting for a biomass stove is asking for trouble down the road. Pellet-biomass venting is a specialty venting. I suggest you research that before hand.

Blending pellets with corn mitigates the clinker issue but you still require a stove that is corn capable and most today aren't.

Far as your Jotul and a pellet stove, the venting are 2 entirely different types. Using a wood stove venting for a biomass stove is asking for trouble down the road. Pellet-biomass venting is a specialty venting. I suggest you research that before hand.
I decided on the Big E, picking it up today. I found the manual online that states it's pellet only.

A little confusion about my Jotul install, I was just trying to post a pic of how I did it and couldn't figure out how on my mobile device. Venting components came to about $600 for it, it's gas, the wall termination cap alone was $240. I'll try and post a pic of the venting specs on the Big E....
p1000_manual-06_1024x1024.png

I decided on the Big E, picking it up today. I found the manual online that states it's pellet only.

A little confusion about my Jotul install, I was just trying to post a pic of how I did it and couldn't figure out how on my mobile device. Venting components came to about $600 for it, it's gas, the wall termination cap alone was $240. I'll try and post a pic of the venting specs on the Big E....
View attachment 281379
IMG_20210827_113936337.jpg

I love your knotty and I have that wood spread in different spots of my house only mine was special order and the wide board about 9 or 10 inches and people suggest me to put varnish or stand on it to protect it but I just love it the natural way--let someone put their color stain or varnish on it and I am happy just the natural way it is..Your stove is beautiful as well..clancey

I love your knotty and I have that wood spread in different spots of my house only mine was special order and the wide board about 9 or 10 inches and people suggest me to put varnish or stand on it to protect it but I just love it the natural way--let someone put their color stain or varnish on it and I am happy just the natural way it is..Your stove is beautiful as well..clancey
Thank you! Pine gets darker with age or turns a dark amber color if only a clear urethane finish is applied so we put a "white pickling" stain on before the poly and it should stay natural looking. These boards are 1x8, one side is beveled to look like 1x4, we did the 1x8 look in the utility/laundry. We still have quite a bit of trim work to finish, will be able to tackle that this winter now that we have the shop built. Last winter was our first here and the vehicles and skid loader had to sit outside.

Mocking up the Duravent. The stove manual recommends out and up, I'd prefer to go up and out. I'd really.like to keep the clean out inside. What say you?
IMG_20211011_200441866.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Washed-Up
Some will say keep the T outside as it’s cleaner, I’ve installed a couple with it inside and it’s a non issue…also with the clean out T inside and going up and out, you will keep a bit more heat inside as the pipe will radiate…also with it up and out, you’ll have a bit more room behind it when you need to do maintenance…

I like the up and out look as said above.
I also turned my cleanout tee on a 45
added another 45 so the pipe went up
the center(back)of the stove. More traditional
wood stove style. Paint and will look fantastic

I like the up and out look as said above.
I also turned my cleanout tee on a 45
added another 45 so the pipe went up
the center(back)of the stove. More traditional
wood stove style. Paint and will look fantastic
I'll bet that does look nice. Too late for me now finished the wall through and it's set where it's gonna stay for now. I'm going to burn it a few times before the pipe gets painted.
IMG_20211012_123010933.jpg