Help a new guy. Wood furnace or gasification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah I think it would still be substantially cheaper going with a furnace and new duct. I am having a guy coming out for a quote on ductwork now. If I am reading the tax credit right it covers that as well.

I plan on living here the rest of my life. My geothermal does well enough heating but I have a bunch of wood already cut and a bunch more I need to cut. I am hoping a kuuma would be a nice alternative. Our basement isn’t finished so I don’t worry so
Much about a mess there. The dust may be an issue though

Reactions: woodey
Not sure what you are asking. They use underground Pex.
Yes i meant to type pex and not ''flex.'' i don't know how I miss keyed that.
Thank you for responding. My question was answered previously.

If I had realized that I would spend around $25 for my setup, with me doing everything but the actual install (building the shed, burying the pex run to the shed, etc) and then I would have to cut over 10 cords of wood a year, and build it up 4-5X a day whenever it's below 15-20* out? I would have gone geothermal.. I do love cutting wood. And splitting wood, and stacking wood. When we got a geothermal estimate about 8 years ago it was going to be 35-40K (including backup generator incase of long power outtage) Today if I had to do it over again I would have gone that route... I plan to heat with wood for the next 20 years.. But if we stay in this house (which we will likely not, once the kids move out) in 20 years I'll be sick of doing that much wood.. lol

It sounds to me like you don't need a boiler, you just want to use the wood you have... You can always just sell the firewood, once you start heating with wood if you go OWB, you'll have to keep it from freezing if you decide not to use it... I went OWB because I've been a firefighter for over 20 years and have been to dozens of chimney fires etc.. I wanted the mess and hazard out and away from my house.

Also know that downed trees do not "need to be cleaned up" if you are concerned, trim the branches that stick up off, and let them break down on their own.. Nature will take care of it and you'll have healthier soil in the long run.. :) I know this is not a popular opinion on a wood heat forum :p but just playing the devil's advocate...
Jon

Reactions: sloeffle