Help About St. Croix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Csst said:
Yea everytime i run the stove i always open the front door clean it up with a shop vac open the bottom part clean the MESS of ashes thats in there (hopefully that will change) and also take out the ash tray inside clean the inside and around it witha shop vac and also pull both levers in and out to let all the tons of ashes fall and clean it all up and fire the unit back up again... Does this sound right to you?

Also you think its safe to run it tonight and sleep at night or you think im better off waiting til morning so i can fire it up and monitor it better?

I should have mention too when i was burning the flame seemed very tall and orange in color also?

I don't have any of the manuals for your stove so I have no idea about where things are that need to be cleaned.

But the flame should be yellow/orange tending towards yellow with a tinge of blue just above the pellets, it should not be a blowtorch or tall angry orange with black tips.

The primary air control for your stove is that damper you adjusted using the pencil. You may have to play with that to get the best burn.

It will be critical that your OAK not be blocked and that you keep the venting clean.

There should be a section in the installation manual that talks about how to adjust the damper.

Ok maybe i'll wait til morning so i can play around with it more i'll keep you posted on it tomorrow... also what i'll do is post a video tomorrow with the stove fired up so you can see what you think of it??

I want to take a sec to thank you Smokeythebear for all your help!!! i think i might have it now i been ruuning for about 2 and half hours now still to early to tell for sure but i like where this is going!! the pencil trick worked like a charm i did everything smokeythebear told me and there not a single spot of anything on the glass the flame looks to be alot healthier than before and guess what not a single ash in the bottom of the pan at all and nothing overflowing with pellets as i can see so far!! considering yesterday after 7 hours almost the whole bottom was covered with ash and overflow pellets!! look at this video from today what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Golz2SitECc

mnkywrnch said:
Csst said:
im not sure what you mean when you say put a pencil in it and screw it down i dont know where to put the pencil? here my video i uploaded it on you tube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnY8rkeHX8M
In this video the damper looks completely shut.Did krooser's tip with the damper work?

mnkywrnch, I do believe it worked.

What Csst needs to do is keep an eye on it for some time now.

He is operating close to the limit for 3" pipe, his saving grace is that he doesn't have much horizontal in vent run.

I believe he'll be fine.

Csst said:
I want to take a sec to thank you Smokeythebear for all your help!!! i think i might have it now i been ruuning for about 2 and half hours now still to early to tell for sure but i like where this is going!! the pencil trick worked like a charm i did everything smokeythebear told me and there not a single spot of anything on the glass the flame looks to be alot healthier than before and guess what not a single ash in the bottom of the pan at all and nothing overflowing with pellets as i can see so far!! considering yesterday after 7 hours almost the whole bottom was covered with ash and overflow pellets!! look at this video from today what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Golz2SitECc

Glad things are looking up for you.

It does take a bit of time to get a stove really working well. Once you have it adjusted about all you need to do is keep it clean and enjoy the heat.

Don't be a stranger on here there are all sorts of crazies and we have a good time while we try to help folks.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Thanks Smokey!! You been great!! i been running all morning and everything still looks 100% to me!! im the happiest person right now..lol i just check the bottom tray and there still nothing in there for ashes the flame looks great and the ash tray is still not overflowing!! Thanks again smokey you helped out a NOOB when it comes to pellet stoves but i think i learn alot already :)

Well ran the stove all day today and this was the outcome there was a little bit of ashes not to much though and there was only maybe about 10 total pellets that fell to the bottom bin which is great... This is my only concern is there was a little bit of white film on the glass that didnt seem to come off with a paper towel but its not really bad but you can see it is this normal?

Csst said:
Well ran the stove all day today and this was the outcome there was a little bit of ashes not to much though and there was only maybe about 10 total pellets that fell to the bottom bin which is great... This is my only concern is there was a little bit of white film on the glass that didnt seem to come off with a paper towel but its not really bad but you can see it is this normal?

Yes its normal for hardwoods to get a sticky residue. Wet a paper towel and dip it into the ashes. Gently rub the glass with the dap towel w/ashes.

Ok great i wasnt sure if this was another problem!! thats good to hear

Csst said:

The white film is normal and a good fire indicator. With the glass slightly warm a little elbow grease along with a slightly moist cloth dipped in ash should take that film right off. You'll have to follow the ash dipped cloth with a slightly moist clean one but the ash will help remove the deposit without scratching the glass.

ok i just took a damp paper towel and it came right off no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.