Help choosing stove for Cape cod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've got a cape similar to what Caw posted above, but mine is larger and more open than his, but getting enough heat upstairs is still almost impossible. A tower fan blowing at lowest speed into the stove room from the next room was effective at evening temperature downstairs, but more powerful fans, or higher speeds were counterproductive because they just disrupted the natural convection. Expect to have cold bedrooms, maybe high-50s, even when downstairs is mid-70s. Worse still, even 60F will feel very cold when you've been lounging around downstairs in shorts and t-shirt!
More importantly, as others have said, make sure your planned install is safe, and then get your wood. You will almost certainly not be able to buy wood now that's dry enough to burn satisfactorily this winter. If you have any wood split already, separate the faster drying species and get those splits stacked out in the sun and wind asap.

TE
Yeah I get away with it because the staircase upstairs is in the stove room. If it wasn't I'd have the same problem you do. It's actually a bit annoying sometimes because my bedroom door is right by the top of the steps and it can get very warm if I leave the door open all day. We typically keep it closed to keep the room cooler and allow the heat to flow down the upstairs hallway into the kids rooms.

Though bedrooms 63-65 are nice IMO, 58-60 is too cold. Mine can sometimes be 72-75 if the door is open all day which is way too warm!