HELP - Enviro Empress FPI Can't Adjust Auger Feed Rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fcepstein

Feb 17, 2018
Maryland
Hi All,

I recently purchased an older 2006 Empress, and have gone through it and re-furbished everything. I also purchased a modern 50-2088 mother/daughter board combo.

Problem I am having is that I cannot adjust the auger feed rate. I am able to select feed rate 1-5 on the daughter board, but the mother board cycle time remains at 3 seconds on, 8 seconds off. So basically, the stove stays on low, with the fire height just about at the height of the pellet cup.

Everything is clean, and I have tried adjusting everything else. Start-up and shut-down cycles work fine. I have tested the auger motor, and pretty much everything else. After the start-up cycle is complete, I just cannot adjust the feed rates via the daughter board. I believe that the mother board is defective, or that it is not receiving some critical feedback signal to set the feed rate.

The only disclaimer is that I am using a standard 20-pin ribbon cable, not the official Enviro 50-2629 ribbon.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks -Frank

Hi Frank- I was going to tell you to check the ribbon cable and see if its damaged in any way, I've seen one get pinched putting the surround in place. It sounds like you are on heat setting 2 if it feeds for 3 off for 8. I'm assuming the convection blower does not ramp up or down too? I'm gonna say the obvious, I'd get their ribbon cable and try it first. Does the mother board initially come on and do its soft startup? It will come on, feed ignite turn the convection blower on a moderate speed and once it gets through startup, speed up the convection to whatever heat level its at indicating its through startup?? If not, I'd look at the motherboard/daughter boards. But first, I'd get their cable. Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the help. I am going to try a new ribbon cable. I tried two cables, but nether were official Enviro cables. I think it is a long shot at this point, but seems like the next logical step.