HELP HARMAN XXV STOVE TEMP VS ROOM TEMP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
harman xxv,6th season.in stove temp mode the stove works perfect.no issues at all.when trying to use room temp mode(i have been using this for last 2 years)the flame goes HUGE and orange,pellets fall off edge half unburnt.this just started happening 2 weeks ago and only on room temp mode.could it be a bad room temp sensor?

That's a good guess. Run a self test and see if that produces an error code.

I also use room temp. My Harman has a thermostat wire connected in the back which I hang off the wall to the side of the stove.

Have you moved the thermostat wire recently?

Wire has been in same spot for last 2 years. Anyone know if there are other component possibilities aside from temp sensor and electronic board?since it works perfect in stove temp mode this narrows it down to only room temp components.anyone?bueller,bueller

How far from the floor is your temp sensor? Mine did what you describe when it fell to floor once.

That is a problem, move it up 2 to 5 feet off the floor. Also don't cover the tip
of the sensor with tape.

Last edited:
Here is how I ended up positioning the sensor on the rear of my XXV stove.

Attachments

• xxv_temp_sensor.jpeg
    xxv_temp_sensor.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 186
3 Minutes isn't a very long time to assess the problem.
What was the temperature in the room vs what you had the dial set to?
Sounds like it is overfeeding.

I think you right, the sensor may be bad, check the back of the stove connections.
Those sensors are pretty cheap and easy to change. Maybe if you had it on the floor
something heavy broke the end of it? Still doesn't seem like it should overflow when
heating. What happens once it runs for a while and the room heats > 70F?
Does the stove start slowing down the feeding? If not then try a new sensor.

Sure sounds like a bad sensor. You should be able to turn the temp dial lower and
the flames should eventually die down.

Last edited: