Help ID this Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
I found this standing dead today. What remained of it looked like a deciduous tree. Root was rotten so I just pushed it over and carried it back to my house after breaking it into a few pieces. It is quite heavy and pretty tough to split despite it being dead for some time. It has been quite wet lately so I was happy to see how dry it was inside. I threw a few pieces in and it burns nicely with no sparks.

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 14.05.17.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-27 at 14.05.30.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-27 at 14.05.43.png

Looks like dogwood.

Looks like dogwood.
Sure does. High-output firewood, with the BTU of Hickory. But I would split one of the lower pieces on the trunk and test it with a meter..you don't wanna waste that trying to burn it if it's not dry.

Reactions: Toasty-Yote
They can look dead, lotta bark gone, but still have leaves. I'm no tree-growth expert..dunno if that means all the wood is still wet, or if a little water is just moving up beneath the remaining bark.

But if you were able to push it over like that, I'm now thinking it's gotta be pretty dry..

Looks like white oak based on that bark, stringy splitting and the smell and long hot burn.
I don't see the typical Oak medullary rays (light-colored lines radiating out from the center of the split) in his pic of the end-grain. Granted, you don't always see those, but they are usually visible to some degree in Oak..
Oak rays.jpgrays.JPG

X3 on the Dogwood. Especially dense and heavy for its size, even when dry. A prize for sure if you can round some up.