help mantel Clearance problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryhiggs1

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
eastern pa
I am installing a Lopi Freedom into this fireplace. My mantel is 47' from hearth. Lopi requires 52 1/4. Any ideas of what i can do besides the normal heat shield behind surround or piece under mantle. If I go with the flush kit for the Lopi my mantel will clear. Is it worth keeping it extended with mantel shield vs flush with no mantel shield. Is there that much or a difference in performance making it flush? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sorry here are pics. Will the fact that the brick comes out below the mantel make a difference with clearance

Attachments

• rsz_1dscn6240.jpg
    rsz_1dscn6240.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 260
  • rsz_1dscn6239.jpg
    rsz_1dscn6239.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 258
Since you are replacing the fisher, you should probably keep it out and do the mantel shield IMO. Get more radiant heat that way. You can get one of the underside shields cut down, or, put a shield right at the top of the fireplace opening. If you don't put a surround on it, it will look like a spiffed up version of your current setup!

May not be a cheap option, but you could swap the wood mantel for a custom cut stone slab mantel.

If I put a under the mantel shield with ceramic spacers will the brick holding up the mantel heat up or transfer heat to the mantel causing an issue?

That should work ok and what I would do. It's a less obtrusive look. What is that mantel made from? Looks like black walnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.