help me choose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
Looks like it has a 4-way wedge on it?
yes for 40 bucks more
any thoughts?

5" cylinder, bigger pump with the 4 way and the cradle is pretty sweet for that kind of money. That black one is definitely better looking than the green one on his website if you worry about such things.

SolarAndWood said:
5" cylinder, bigger pump with the 4 way and the cradle is pretty sweet for that kind of money. That black one is definitely better looking than the green one on his website if you worry about such things.

so are you +1
or would you vote for one of the others?

I would probably take a chance on it for that kind of money. Splitters seem to be largely a commodity item unless you are willing to spend a lot of money.

I bought a 4' 3 pt chinese rototiller from a farmer near portland who was buying containers of them and selling them on EBay. I bought it for a 1/4 of TSCs price and it was a pretty good reproduction of what they were selling. 4 years later, I am more than happy with my decision especially with the garden prep being a 1/2 hour task.

iceman said:
SolarAndWood said:

so are you +1

put me down for a -1

smokinj said:
iceman said:
SolarAndWood said:

so are you +1

put me down for a -1

No need for a 5" cylinder, 4-way or chinese?

SolarAndWood said:
smokinj said:
iceman said:
SolarAndWood said:

so are you +1

put me down for a -1

No need for a 5" cylinder, 4-way or chinese?

chinese, now I do buy chinese stuff dont get me wrong but on splitters chainsaw's things I have to use on atleats a weekly basis I will pay more for. That knock off honda motor I would be willing to bet is good for 30-60 cords now if that will last you for the next 10 years gofor it! (I have a knock off gen-set 3hrs. in 3 years)

Gotcha, I do the same thing. My chinese rototiller does about an hour a year and my wife has picked every pebble out of the garden. I definitely wouldn't start a rototilling business with it. On the other hand, my chainsaws and the old Ford will probably outlive me.

If you are going to go Chinese made why not go with the harbor freight one.
People seem to be very happy with them, they seem cheaper, and HF stands behind them. I understand they are free ship to store items now.

Hurricane said:
People seem to be very happy with them, they seem cheaper, and HF stands behind them. I understand they are free ship to store items now.

that is a possibilty, but this guys is in mass so it is quite tempting to make the drive.... the other question i am asking myself ....if it breaks down would i then switch the stuff out for the"real" stuff... the guts are there... but i know i can throw the swisher or the troybilt on a card and take a year to pay off .....or drop the money now....... hmmmmmmm

www.imotorsports.net. ....if you have time call him..... he SOUNDS like he will stand by his product.... but i would love to get a second opinion

card and

iceman said:
Hurricane said:

that is a possibilty, but this guys is in mass so it is quite tempting to make the drive.... the other question i am asking myself ....if it breaks down would i then switch the stuff out for the"real" stuff... the guts are there... but i know i can throw the swisher or the troybilt on a card and take a year to pay off .....or drop the money now....... hmmmmmmm

www.imotorsports.net. ....if you have time call him..... he SOUNDS like he will stand by his product.... but i would love to get a second opinion

card and

The good news is you should have a good splitter out of the ones your looking at!(now pull the trigger and report back)

smokinj said:
iceman said:
Hurricane said:

card and

The good news is you should have a good splitter out of the ones your looking at!(now pull the trigger and report back)

i am thinking to much i feel like taking a chance.... if the engine goes its cheap to get another one .... if it last 5 years with no major problems its a steal..... hell if i put 500 over time in to it its still cheaper than any other 37 ton.......
guy said he would coil the hoses for cost if i wanted.......... but goin to a big box i get no payments no interest for 12 ..... a big plus with a baby on the way.....argggghhhhhhh decisions
oh and just found out i can rent from a store.....65 for a weekend that seems like a good option

iceman said:
smokinj said:
iceman said:
Hurricane said:

card and

good news is that 160cc honda can be had for 180.00 bucks down the road if it ever came up. how many cords are you doing in a year?

i am thinking to much i feel like taking a chance.... if the engine goes its cheap to get another one .... if it last 5 years with no major problems its a steal..... hell if i put 500 over time in to it its still cheaper than any other 37 ton.......
guy said he would coil the hoses for cost if i wanted.......... but goin to a big box i get no payments no interest for 12 ..... a big plus with a baby on the way.....argggghhhhhhh decisions
oh and just found out i can rent from a store.....65 for a weekend that seems like a good option

smokinj said:
iceman said:
smokinj said:
iceman said:
Hurricane said:

card and

good news is that 160cc honda can be had for 180.00 bucks down the road if it ever came up. how many cords are you doing in a year?

thanks

i would really like to try that 37 ton because i feel its more for the money ...... but with a baby on the way i can feel better putting it on a card and getting 12 months to pay for it .... but i cant understand why swishers are so expensive compared to a troybilt.....
and i know if i have a problem i can go to lowes and get another as hd doesnt sell swisher anymore this is a left over... so i am leaning on the troybilt or 25 ton mtd from the depot .... at this point

The Chinese unit pictured looks reasonable, although it is WAY over-rated - a 5" cylinder is good for 30 tons at the normal 3,000psi maximum operating pressures that most hydraulic parts are designed for... (actually a bit less than 30ton, but it rounds...) Otherwise I would say it is probably no better or worse than any of the other units you've been looking at, although as others have said, a 20 ton will probably do everything you'd need...

Gooserider

well i am stil looking and came across a 22 ton swisher... the same one i was looking used for 500 said its a year old but he has put 200 cord through it... he lucked out and got a used timberwolf with six way wedge and ramp so he doesnt need it anymore... but the top of the engine is broke... he says you have to manually wrap the cord before you pull it but it will start on the first pull....
500 firm ........ but he did say if i buy it he will also sell me 2 cords at 140 each green (lol) his truck is 11x7 with 4 ft walls and it will be heaped higher his claim is i will get 2 cords ... sounds real close to me... but should i do it????
or get the lowes deal $1260 (27 tn troybilt) 12 months no interest no payments or just get the tsc $1099 12 months no interest no payments (sept 5th)

iceman said:
well i am stil looking and came across a 22 ton swisher... the same one i was looking used for 500 said its a year old but he has put 200 cord through it... he lucked out and got a used timberwolf with six way wedge and ramp so he doesnt need it anymore... but the top of the engine is broke... he says you have to manually wrap the cord before you pull it but it will start on the first pull....
500 firm ........ but he did say if i buy it he will also sell me 2 cords at 140 each green (lol) his truck is 11x7 with 4 ft walls and it will be heaped higher his claim is i will get 2 cords ... sounds real close to me... but should i do it????
or get the lowes deal $1260 (27 tn troybilt) 12 months no interest no payments or just get the tsc $1099 12 months no interest no payments (sept 5th)

I'd want to see a demo on the start, but it isn't a big deal to fix a broken recoil if that's all that's wrong with it - which is what it sounds like from your description... As long as the unit looks reasonable otherwise and doesn't show signs of major fluid leakage or other issues, I'd say that it's a reasonable deal...

Gooserider

As long as its functional, it meets my 1/2 of new rule.

Just rent one a couple of times a year.

gzecc said:
Just rent one a couple of times a year.

the place i used before was 65 for the weekend but no one rented but me so they do not rent splitters anymore ....... everyone else is 100 + per day....at that rate a splitter pays off as far as payback and and convenience....
if i used a card no payments no interest 12 months and rent 2x between now and say dec then once again this time next year 300+ right there the swiaher for 500 is almost paid for and almost a 1/3 of a new splitter....
i am gonna check out this swisher like goose said if no major problems i think i am gonna do it... besides if somethiong breaks next year or i put a new engine on it still i am less than 1000

as you know i got the 37 ton from Lowes - make sure they don't ding you an assembly fee (think mine was $40.00)

as you mentioned the 27 comes with hydro - mine did not so that was an extra 100.00

it's a PIA to move around and as mentioned i snapped a few bolts on the side table but all in all it's a great machine - the honda engine has always started on the first pull and sips gas

add an hour meter so you know when to change the oil - and no matter what you get, plan on making sure everything is tight and recto seal all the fittings

try to knock them down say 10% even with the coupon tell them the swisher place offered you a deal (ask for the seasonal mgr). heck the worst they can do is say no

Stevebass4 said:
as you know i got the 37 ton from Lowes - make sure they don't ding you an assembly fee (think mine was $40.00)

as you mentioned the 27 comes with hydro - mine did not so that was an extra 100.00

it's a PIA to move around and as mentioned i snapped a few bolts on the side table but all in all it's a great machine - the honda engine has always started on the first pull and sips gas

add an hour meter so you know when to change the oil - and no matter what you get, plan on making sure everything is tight and recto seal all the fittings

try to knock them down say 10% even with the coupon tell them the swisher place offered you a deal (ask for the seasonal mgr). heck the worst they can do is say no

i have been trying to knock them down but they are not moving they claim they are sellin gat least one a week and this store sold 57 last year
on to another lowes.... they just wont budge as well keep offerring the card...

If your used guy will fix the recoil for the $500 he is firm on, you are much further ahead. You will never get the new premium or sales tax back.

Stevebass4 said:
<snip>- and no matter what you get, plan on making sure everything is tight and recto seal all the fittings

Pipe dope and / or teflon tape is a good idea, but only on SOME of the fittings... You may find several different sorts of fitting connections on a splitter, some should be sealed with dope, others should NOT!

Many of them will be NPT pipe thread connections, which seal by contact between the threads, these should always be sealed with tape and / or dope (be sure to use a dope that is suitable for use in hydraulic systems, Rector Seal is a good choice)

However there are several other types that seal by metal to metal contact, or w/ o-rings, (often these are found on the high pressure lines) and these should NEVER be used with dope - there are a bunch of these, and it takes some practice or use of a guide to identify all of them, but the simplest way that I've seen to spot them is that they seem to mostly use a flare or union style nut to pull the parts together, as opposed to a set of fixed threads like you find w/ pipe threads. Obviously, if you see an O-ring, that can also be a clue...

Gooserider

i spkoe to the owner .. its 12 years old he put a tecumseh 9hp (2001) on it
apparently he is the 3rd owner but the previous 2 were friends of his ... they barely used it so he bought it and restored it (it was left outside)
according to what he said i believe its actually a 34 ton because the bore is 5inches with 2 inch ram
price is 750 he claims there is no hyd fluid leaks so i guess i will drive up and check it out
the engine he replaced it with is a 9 on the brave site the 34 has an 11hp do you think that would make a huge difference?
http://www.braveproducts.com/itemde...tegory&categoryid=103&parentid;=&searchtext;=

Attachments

• 3nd3m93l25Qb5Pc5R49869689c1dd5831183a.jpg
    3nd3m93l25Qb5Pc5R49869689c1dd5831183a.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 3n73ma3p35Q15R55S79863b3e8f72073d19be.jpg
    3n73ma3p35Q15R55S79863b3e8f72073d19be.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 191
Status
Not open for further replies.