Help me figure out how to make a baffle for my Fisher insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vt-new-fp

Feb 18, 2018
VT
Hi, I 'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to make a baffle for my Fisher fp insert. I don't understand the measurement formula and the fella I showed it to didn't get it either. If I measure the interior and take some pics, could someone here tell me precisely what I need and I'll see if I can get someone to make it for me?
Trying to do everything to keep warm and not waste wood this winter. Thanks!

Measurement; it depends on your chimney flue. What diameter and type do you have?

Reactions: Jeff Jay
Measurement; it depends on your chimney flue. What diameter and type do you have?
I also want to send you a photo of my Fisher fan set-up (came with the stove and I think is original/factory made) for your collection, but I can't find that thread!

Round would be 50.24 square inches. Square would be 64.

That is the minimum square inch opening above baffle plate the smoke must travel through. This is where you start with a insulated liner for the most efficient baffle made for the venting system at about 15 feet in height above Insert top. A higher flue, will require more square inch area for more heat loss to heat chimney flue.

Make a cardboard template. Set on rear brick retainers. Angle upward toward front until you have height at the proper square inch area opening. It will never be higher than this, so make brick supports on sides to hold at this height. Sliding side brick supports ahead toward front lowers baffle if needed. That should be correct for a single story insulated liner.

Hi, it's a round, insulated stainless liner inside a terracotta flue. New stainless liner is 8 inches. Three stories (two stories and attic) plus roof top - I'd say 30 - 35 feet tall?

Hi, it's a round, insulated stainless liner inside a terracotta flue. New stainless liner is 8 inches. Three stories (two stories and attic) plus roof top - I'd say 30 - 35 feet tall?
Ok, start with the minimum smoke space above baffle and drop it at front as necessary if you get smoke roll in when opening doors.

The baffle plate needs to be 5/16 steel plate.

Super, thank you so much! Making the cardboard template is brilliant - that makes it so much easier to visualize and hope it will help my friend to make it. Thanks! If you want to see my old-school fan for your collection, just let me know where to post the photo!

Super, thank you so much! Making the cardboard template is brilliant - that makes it so much easier to visualize and hope it will help my friend to make it. Thanks! If you want to see my old-school fan for your collection, just let me know where to post the photo!
Right here?

HEre it is -- came with the stove (which I bought second hand). The bottom of the fan slots into that metal piece that snugs under the stove. It can go on either side, depending on where your outlet is. It moves the heat very effectively. After seeing your photos of other fans, I thought it maybe was supposed to go on the side somehow, but I think this is the right orientation.

fan wide view.jpg
fan close up.jpg